Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This is to wish the Xara team a happy christmas and prosperous new year - you've earned it. It has been a momentous year for you, and you clearly have put a lot of effort into your new product, and this is much appreciated - giving many of us a lot of enjoyment. Keep up the good work, and remember that if you get any short term criticism it is probably only because we have learned to expect such high standards with Webster, 3D and CX2.
    Tony
    Tony

This is to wish the Xara team a happy christmas and prosperous new year - you've earned it. It has been a momentous year for you, and you clearly have put a lot of effort into your new product, and this is much appreciated - giving many of us a lot of enjoyment. Keep up the good work, and remember that if you get any short term criticism it is probably only because we have learned to expect such high standards with Webster, 3D and CX2.
    Tony
    Tony

Indeed the Xara team should not be daunted by the short-term criticism. Overall Xara X is a quality product that proves their saying "less is more".

That is why the great long-term criticism by Jens G.R. Benthien should be noted. In short Jens warns against the lurking danger of Xara X becoming an overstuffed pack of wizards, like a fat balloon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The new feathering, filling, transparencies, brushes, the contour tool and the profiles are great additions that are consistent with Xara's nature. Vector filling would be my candidate for a whish list. IMHO the bevel tool is on the edge of that consistency, but the button and navigation bar tool are well over it.

Overall Xara X is the best vector application I know. A continuation of a great English tradition: the magical combination of quality and simplicity. Lets keep it that way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Xara, live long and prosper.
    Xara team, you deserve great holidays.

[This message was edited by René van der Houwen on December 23, 2000 at 05:07 AM.]

Have you taken a look at the ClipView feature? It is pretty much what you describe, a vector fill to a shape.

Try is by drawing a rectangle and then drawing a circle on top of it. Select both, then click Apply, Clipview - and the circle is seen as a "fill" to the square - where the circle lies outside of the boundaries of the square it is not visible.

Read the Help for a better descriptions, and wait for the CD (hint hint) for a tutorial video to demo the feature.

Stupid of me: I forgot to mention CLipView as a great addition consistent with the nature of Xara. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

With vector filling I mean a kind of tiled ClipViews.

I just starting to use XARA. Pretty neat stuff!
    I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MerryChristmas.gif 
Views:	423 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	8662  

Yes, Rene, I think you and Jens are right - no new tools for a while. The tool box is already looking a little cluttered. I feel a period of consolidation might be a good idea - making the new facilities work better together, and maybe filling in a few gaps. For example, not having an ALT field for image maps is frustrating, and making bevels and shadows portable as suggested by Sten would also be high on my list.
    Tony

[This message was edited by tonylondon on December 28, 2000 at 02:49 AM.]
    Tony