Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The best way to create a damask pattern?

I've been trying to create a damask design in Photo & Graphic Designer and really don't know what's the best way to go about making a symmetric design. The tutorials I've found are for Illustrator (http://www.patternsshop.com/blog/tut...n-illustrator/).

So far I've tried:

-- using Gary's Xara Xtreme 5 book pp 68-69 to create the basic design, but when I drag one of the handles to join the shapes, the design is no longer symmetric.

-- creating half of the design and then just using Ctrl K and flipping horizontally and then trying to zoom in and join them, but this is a very slow process that is never quite accurate.

I imagine there's some way to do this more easily by creating a portion of the design and adjusting the nudge size under Options so I can then make it symmetric, but I'm really not sure what the most accurate, least complicated method for creating a damask design is. Can someone please help me with the steps?

thank you,

Liora

Default Re: The best way to create a damask pattern?

you could try using duplicate

in options general tab you can set both the X and the Y duplication distance

so if your base pattern is say 100 pixels square - set the X duplication to 100 pixels and the Y duplication to 0 pixels

use the dupliction keystroke to duplicate as many horizontal squares as you want - then group these

swap the X and Y duplication values and use keystroke again to duplicate your row vertically as many times as necessary....

** EDIT - that may not be what you need though, looking at the pattern in your link - you might be better off with a seamless tiling pattern maker
    Last edited by handrawn; 05 December 2010 at 09:16 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That link was just one of many different techniques, and it looked rather complicated. At this point, I'd be thrilled if I could just produce the initial design not in a pattern, and your steps sound like they'd do that. That said, do you have any recommendations for the seamless tiling pattern maker site or software?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Liora; 05 December 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: clarity

not my field the seamless tiling

iamtheblues [aka Bob] knows what he is doing in this respect and here's one of his threads - I don't know if it will do what you need though

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...his-is-amazing!

[worth a search on the forum]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ok, here's an example and a question:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liora/5235943657/

What would be the best way to make the red portion flipped and equal distance on the opposite side from the center of the image?

I've been taking a long way around by Ctrl-K, flip horizontally, move it approximately where it seems like it should be, then grouping it with its opposite, then using Align to align the top. Then I have to take that image (now 2 objects grouped), and align it horizontally on the page so it's exactly spaced from the center. What would be a better way to do this?

thank you!

I don't think I'd have a problem with the seamless tiling part. It's just the basic getting the pieces of the drawing symmetrical that I'm having trouble doing quickly. I know there has to be a faster way to do what I just showed in my last post.

Try something like this

Christine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Texture.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	78235  

Hi, Christine,

That's what I'm currently doing. It works great, but I'm stumped as to what to do with items that are not touching (like the red portion in the image I linked). It needs to be offset from the center by an equal amount to each side. Maybe grouping the entire side before doing the X-Y duplication that handrawn mentioned would work.

thanks for your help. I like how your design above turned out. Lots of possibilities!

Hi Liora,

I have a quick solution to this, which I'll post when I return from a job.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

I made this VIDEO to show how I do this - others may have better ways.

There are two right ‘branches’ to copy on the opposite side of a main central shape.

Make a square and centre it under the main central shape.

Group it with the two right branches.

Left click this group and drag it to the left, then right click to copy it on the left side.

Ctrl/left-click the new left group’s box and give it a new colour.

Click on the new left side group and slide it over to the right, until the boxes align exactly.

Delete the boxes. Group the shapes and colour them as you like.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).