Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAMWolff:
    Hiya Michael,

Welcome home!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's good to be back, and I'm enjoying playing with my new Xara X1 http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

If only I could convince them to buy me a copy at work. I'm stuck with simply Photoshop Elements for all my graphics work, and that limits by ability to put together web site design, etc.

To answer Andrew's question of why we use XML. We use it in various internal parts of X1 and it's also used a lot by the Xara Picture Editor and in communications between the XPE and X1. It will be used a lot more in the future. For example we'll be creating an XML version of our native file format as a step on the way to supporting things like SVG. Right now it's also used for the help and movie download mechanism.

And yes all the remaining bitmaps effects will be moved into the realm of the XPE.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robings:
    Great news that Xara is upgraded - can the best become better?

First observations - what has happened to the bitmaps under Bitmaps|Effects and Plugins|Bitmap Effects ? I no longer have the option to select Bitmap Effects, with all its options - all thats left is Special Effects.

Robin <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about the plugins Robin?? You will need to set this up yourself. Some programs will scan the hard drive looking for plugins but Xara X1 is not that type of program.

Bitmaps|Effects and Plugins|Bitmap Effects has an option to add these by clicking on this selection you will have a dialog appear and it's all self explainatory after that.

If your referring to something else I'm not sure I understand what it would be. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Special Effects and the Plugins are the only thing I remember in this area.
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAMWolff:

Are you talking about the plugins Robin?? You will need to set this up yourself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Richard - no - not talking about the Plug-ins, I was wondering where the old Bitmap Effects had gone to, but I've found them - they've been replaced by the far superior Xara Picture Editor - DOH! I should have looked harder - and realised that Xara X1 would not let us down! What a superb item the Picture Editor is - WELL DONE XARA X1

Robin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For example we'll be creating an XML version of our native file format as a step on the way to supporting things like SVG. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great - from my point of view as someone who would like to script Xara docs and extract the info for other random purposes this is (almost) as good as SVG anyway.

(Mind you, that's what I thought about the ArtWorks SDK too and I never got around to doing anything serious with that either did I?)

On the -ve side with the Picture Editor I'm not overchuffed with the brushed chrome windows. If I wanted skinning I'd prefer a desktop-wide skin; I don't really like single skinned apps as they look out-of-place. Of course there is very little interface actually there so it doesn't matter than much, but still.

Also, an hourglass pointer or some other feedback would be useful in the delay between double-clicking an image and the XPE opening up. Finally, clicking 'Help' gives me an 'Access violation exception at offset 0x02785C8A', which I don't really car about but is a bit weird. Maybe it's related to me disabling the (blummin' awful) WinXP Help Center thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And yes all the remaining bitmaps effects will be moved into the realm of the XPE. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. Any ideas what other bitmap functions might become possible in XPE? Might it even go down to pixel-level operations, mask-filling, etc.? Are the plugin docs available yet?

cheers,

One of my main wanted functions:
    "find and replace" - where can i find it in XaraX1?

I have to make bottlecovers in many formats and it would be so easy to change the titles with "find and replace". Now i have to do it with copy and past and altering every size of the changed titles for every single cover (20 for one Page, 5 pages for one title, 10 different titels..)

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

" have to make bottlecovers in many formats and it would be so easy to change the titles with "find and replace". Now i have to do it with copy and past and altering every size of the changed titles for every single cover (20 for one Page, 5 pages for one title, 10 different titels..)" - Heimo

How about one button or a sheet of buttons and twenty layers for your different titles? Name the titles title1 through titlexyz then just click on the title name in the name gallery... There is your search and replace function, already built in.

Okay so, you have to click a little more than hitting Cntrl-H. But, you do not have to type the titles over and over again. see pic below...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	8424  
    John/DOT

I think this is a good one for the wish list and it could be included in the Objects Gallery, whenever that's implemented with an extra dialog for selecting an object and then replacing it with another. Kind of what we all discussed in another thread when and if the Object Gallery is implemented. Select an object and then 'redefine' the shape, bevel, contour, line and fill. So if the object is buried under a pile of other objects you could work with it leaving it still in place and while it's selected you wouldn't have to worry about re-selecting another object by mistake!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

> How about one button or a sheet of buttons and twenty layers for your different titles?

That's what I do for the banners for my company's web products. Works brilliantly.

OK,OK, I guess I have to keep my end of the bargain now. Since this was an answer to my prayers, I guess I have to start going back to church. The bags under my eyes will testify that I've been up late playing with some of the new features.