Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi. I'm new to web design and I'm starting out on my first project. I only design with Dreamweaver, not knowing anything at all about programming. How do you go about with starting the design with the site's owner? Do they hand you most of the body text, info, links about that site, then you create the design? how does this design process go? I'll appreciate any comments.

Hi. I'm new to web design and I'm starting out on my first project. I only design with Dreamweaver, not knowing anything at all about programming. How do you go about with starting the design with the site's owner? Do they hand you most of the body text, info, links about that site, then you create the design? how does this design process go? I'll appreciate any comments.

Hi Shangrila
    Welcome to what I have found to be a most helpfull and active forum.

I get them to tell me how many pages the have in mind?
    I then ask them to list the categories. i.e., about us, contact page etc...

Then a break down of the main aspects they require on the site.

Then request their logo and any preferred colour schemes?

Then go about creating a one page design with menu bar and header.
    I submit this for comment until we agree on a desired format.

Once this has been established I get them to provide me with all the page text content
    and just adapt it to compliment the overall design.

Any extra goodies you include pics thumbnails etc… is down to how much they are prepared to pay.

The above is a very simplified explanation but I hope it helps.

Once the site is up and running I then expect payment. no 30 days just pay me. Dont forget any admin time you may have spent sorting domain, getting it on a server host or getting a DNS transfered (where required). just pass on all these costs.

Good luck and have a go, there is no substitute for a little experience

Dave C

I agree with what Dave says. However I find it easier to draw it out first (like story boards). That way I can take notes on each page that I have drawn out. After that I code the pages in and present that to the customer.