Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where do the web files live prior to conversion to html?

I think I am close to solving my own problem. I have discovered that though I have created my own web folders, it nonetheless saves the important file in a folder called "my web sites". Though interestingly, it doesn't have the ending .web instead it has the Web Designer 6 icon. That is the problem solved on my old computer which uses XP.

I am now searching my new computer which is Windows 7. I haven't found the file called "my web sites"; or its equivalent. When I have found it I will post it here. In the meantime, if anyone knows where it is, please point me in the right direction.

Ken

By default, Windows does not show file extensions, this is very bad policy imho.. I recommend you enable file extension in folder options.

There's an incredibly cool and free tool to help find everything on your PC. Funnily enough it's called 'Everything'
    Do a google search for 'download everything'
    It's takes literally seconds to index your entire HDD, once done it's simple to find any file even using partial names and the * wildcard to file the spaces. ( example *site*.web will find everything which has the word 'site' in it no matter what the other letters are and which ends with the extension .web)

Hope you don't mind me making a suggestion Ken. When saving .web [or .xar in XDP6] I put them in a folder I made specifically so I always know where they are. I'm not that tidy in non-virtual life though
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Cool Re: Where do the web files live prior to conversion to html?

Eureka. I copied the “My Web Sites” folder from my old computer and pasted it into the "My Documents" folder on my new computer

I selected "open" in Web Designer 6, went to “My Web Sites” and inside there, clicked on the named folder I wanted. Inside there, I clicked on the name of the website. This didn’t end in .web but it did have the Web Designer 6 icon attached to it.

As if by magic, I am now back in business. I have also set the computer to show file extensions. Thanks for that tip.

I have also learnt I only need to carry across the folder with the .web files. When I opened the .web file and then went to publish, it asked me to create the additional folder again for all the files I need. I now know it keeps the files in one location and the .web file in another location.

Anyway, "mission accomplished - Bradford!" I am now no longer in the dark.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Gaskell; 17 October 2010 at 08:44 PM.