Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default text not repelled

can anyone explain what is different about these 4 blocks of text? For two of them the text is repelled by the block, but for two it isn't. This is driving me nuts!
    Thanks
    Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: text not repelled

Hi,
    the last block of text is not actually a Block of text, it is individual lines of text. I beleive your text has to be a whole block, (as with the block under the star).
    JimM

Sorry I posted the wrong example. This is 4 blocks of text, 3 are text columns and 1 is a text area. The black rectangle is above all 4 of them but only 2 are repelled.

Hi,
    The same as my previous reply the text is individual line of text...not a text block!
    JimM

Ok.... although it is shown at the bottom as as a text AREA - so how do I turn it from a line into a column? And what about the top block which is shown as a column? Apologies if I am being dense here but I have been struggling with this for a couple of days now, I have 32 pages with text on them which won't repel when I want to add the graphics!
    Steve

Hi,
    To get a block of text Select the Text tool holding mous button drag to create a Green outline box, insert cursor inside and type. I don't know how to convert your present text to 'block' tho'.
    JimM

xdp6 Re: text not repelled

Ok, I just got your text to repel for me. But I had to take it to a new page and start from scratch.
    and then add the block

Not sure why yours won't......but I couldn't get it to repel either.

See attached file

I posted the question to Xara support (and was very impressed how fast they responded!).
    They said "The text objects had Repel text applied to them meaning that the rectangle object and the text were both set to repel text. You only need to apply Repel text to the object that you want the text to repel around. Now when you move the rectangle all of the text is repelled around it."
    As I'd not set the text objects that way I've asked a couple more questions about the defaults. I'll copy the answers here.
    Steve

hi what i did to get your text to repel was - the text on the right looks like it was typed line per line and return pressed at the end of each line or a single text line length dragged 1st - so if you do this you can put it in a text box and it repels fine
    select the text tool - drag over all the text on the right to highlight it -rhen right click on the hilighted text then left click copy , then click on a blank part of the screen and drag open a text box - click inside it and right click and paste to put your copied text inside it
    now select the selector tool and select the star - click arrange then bring to front from the top menu

now it all repels ok

cheerz - hope you can follow that

Hi,
    If you select the 'Text tool" and just click on the page, that creates single line of text (which I don't believe can be repelled by an object). When you select the 'Text tool' and drag to create a 'block' of text then that text can be repelled with objucts above.
    you are creating the lines of text NOT the blocks.
    Hope that clarifies the difference.
    JimM