Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Accessing simple templates

This seems like a simple question but: How do you easily access the simple templates such as legal, letter, A4, etc. I can find them by digging (from Open) but it seems there must be a simpler way. I don't see them anywhere in the Templates gallery. Can they be added to this gallery? Or is that hallowed ground?

Default Re: Accessing simple templates

Select File>New, you should then be presented with a list of the simple templates. You can also create your own and store in the location and they will automatically appear next time you do the File>New selection :-)

The problem is once I use New to find a document that hasn't been opened lately that path becomes the new default and then I have to go searching for the templates again. Seems they should somehow be associated with the Gallery of templates.

Some confusion here. 'Open>>New' always lists the page templates, never the recently opened files Dave ('Open recent' shows these).

However, if somehow you are saving your edited/created files into the same folder as the Xara page templates:
    C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara_Photo_Graphic_Designer_6\Templates \ENG then you will end up in a world of trouble as this special folder only lists 12 items in the 'Open>>New' menu.

Page Templates and Design Gallery Templates are two different things in this context.

On my system, those templates are in c:\Program Files\xara\Xara_Designer_Pro_6\Templates\ENG. You can add that folder to the Design Gallery by pressing the "Disc Designs..." button and navigating to it.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Are you using Designer Pro or Photo & Graphic Designer? it sounds like the program is doing what it is supposed to. The newest versions will auto save a backup and if you close the program with out closing your documents, when you open it again it will reopen any open documents from the backup file. You can set any document to be your default template by chosing save as template from the file menu and selecting "save as default" in the dialogue and then when you click the new document icon (the little page button on the left side of the top info bar) your default template will open.

Edit: As Steve (sledger) has said you can only have so many templates show up in the list, although the new versions may let you have more than 12, but I'll have to check. Ok I checked I have 13 templates in the drop down list on my other computer.
    Last edited by angelize; 23 August 2010 at 09:26 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Mea culpa. You're quite right. My easily-befuddled brain confused New with Open. I used Open to get to the Eng folder and thought about how to more easily get to Eng- WITHOUT ever checking what New did. Sorry for all the confusion I created. But I did learn about templates!

No, Sledger, I'm not saving to the DG Templates folder. I was just wondering if it would be possible. Luckily I never found it. Thanks to all. Now on to bigger problems. Dave

If you're using Pro, you can assign hotkeys to the templates you use regularly. I use Shift+1 through Shift+9.

I like that idea. Thanks Now off to see how to assign hotkeys.