Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Named Images

Default Named Images

When I name an image say "Pressed Powder" and publish the site the source shows "id="Pressed:32Powder". Is this normal? I saw it suggested in another post that naming images (not the Alt tag) helped with SEO but this makes no sense to me. Can someone shed light on this?

Default Re: Named Images

Remove the space and name it: PressedPowder or add a hyphen Pressed-Powder

Not sure about SEO, you can add it to the title attribute though (Web Props>>Mouse-over>>Show popup text (title) ).

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Remove the space and name it: PressedPowder or add a hyphen Pressed-Powder

Not sure about SEO, you can add it to the title attribute though (Web Props>>Mouse-over>>Show popup text (title) ).
    Well - concatenated words and hyphenated words are certainly not going of be of any value with SEO. So I guess the value of naming is just internal to the management of the site when making changes in XDP6.

Google sees hyphens as spaces. They are fine for SEO.

Again off topic for this forum. Try to keep to the correct forums. It helps everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by V12CatMan View Post
    Well - concatenated words and hyphenated words are certainly not going of be of any value with SEO.
    Search engines do not use ID attribute! The format of the ID attribute is very strict in W3C specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html40...4/types.html):
    ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"), underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".").
    All the invalid names are automatically encoded by WD/XX/XDP to comply with standards.

You must use the Alt attribute for SEO. Set it in the Image tab of the Web properties dialog.
    John.

Image names are one piece of the SEO pie from the things I've read. Hyphens in image names are valid as stated above, and preferable to underscores.

Simply Google "image names and SEO" for a plethora of info on the topic.