Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro 6 and Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6

I can get thumbnails. I'm using XP SP2. Not trying to upset you, just that for diagnostics your os and set-up might have something to do with it perhaps?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbs.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	74800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbs_02.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	74801  

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Fuss, tell us more about your system please?
    There used to be issues with 64bit OSes and Xara thumbnails (being a 32bit application), but this has been fixed with Designer Pro6, so you should have no problems under normal circumstances/conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    I can get thumbnails. I'm using XP SP2. Not trying to upset you, just that for diagnostics your os and set-up might have something to do with it perhaps?
    All I know is that before I installed DP6, my .xar thumbnails worked just fine and dandy and now they don't.

The problem is not my system, it's how the installation and set-up files of DP6 are configured. THEY did something to things on my computer, not me. It's not the computer; it's the Xara program.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Fuss, tell us more about your system please?
    There used to be issues with 64bit OSes and Xara thumbnails (being a 32bit application), but this has been fixed with Designer Pro6, so you should have no problems under normal circumstances/conditions.
    I am on Windows XP operating system, SP2, 32 bit.

Yes, I should have no problems. Yet the reality is that installing DP6 did something to something and now I have no thumbnail previews of any .xar files.

This is really ****ing me off. Like right now, I'm trying to find a freaking file, I don't remember what I called it or where I put it (it's not where I thought I would have put it), and I've been through the folders where I thought it would have been, but it's not there and because I don't have my freaking thumbnail previews, I can't freaking see any of my .xar files unless I actually click on every damn one of them.

Omigawd, I am so irritated it's not even funny!!!!!!

Not sure I can help more than suggesting removal of All Xara products, doing a ccleaner reg cleanup and reinstalling v4?

Meanwhile, Dmitry's viewer software might assist you in finding your file?
    http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by/xtvd.htm

Thanks, Sledger.

I'm a little leery about messing with reg files. I've always heard that if you don't really know what you're doing (and I don't when it comes to that kind of behind the scene technology and stuff), it's best not to mess with them as you could cause greater problems.

When you say to do a ccleaner reg cleanup, is that a program or something? Because I would not know whatsoever how to do a reg cleanup and like I say, I would be afraid I'd do something to something that ended up blowing up my computer or causing other problems on top of this issue.

PS: Do you know if any Xara staff actually monitor this forum. I find their customer support, such as it is, very vexing to deal with. I get faster, clearer, better answers on here, but if they're the only one who can solve this, I'm going to be an even more unhappy customer with them.

PS: Do you know if any Xara staff actually monitor this forum.
    Yes they do, daily.
    Xara support until recently consisted of one very diligent staff member, though they now have a new support assistant in training to help cut down the waiting time.
    I'm not trying to defend Xara Support in any way, they can take care of themselves - but as I am in the business of providing service and support to the public myself I know all to well how difficult keeping everyone happy can be.
    I am an single owner operator of my small business and I have no desire to upset any customer, so I try to give the same importance to all. The reality is quite frustrating however and some customers simply want to be first in line all the time - it's quite a juggling act.

CCleaner is a well known and trusted utility which has never let me down over the years and literally hundreds of times I have used it.

I'm a business owner myself and making excuses for inadequate or incompetent support is not a good answer. Not that I'm directing that at you. I appreciate your help a lot, truly. I just think that a company serving a large marketplace with millions of customers has a duty to have the proper level of support capabilities in place. Alternately, the programming coding, if it weren't so sloppy when it comes to cleaning up after itself in the first place, would resolve these kind of issues. I know as a loyal customer of many, many years who has paid them my hard-earned money, not to mention a business owner with my OWN clients to take care of, I don't appreciate having MY time wasted on this kind of **** either.
    Last edited by fuss; 23 July 2010 at 11:06 PM.

fuss - the reality is that very few software companies offer support any more. Most do not even have a link where you can contact a real person.

Xara is a small company that like most software companies--large and small, relies on member forums like TalkGraphics to provide support for their products.

I do not think this is right, but on the other hand, if companies like Xara, built the cost of giving company provided tech support into the price of their product, you would be asked to pay more than most of us would consider paying. It is a balance of product integrity/features vs. support.

On balance, I think I would opt for a good product and muddle through the support issue.