Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tabbed Interface

Now we're forced to use large icons, I don't want to lose any more screen (drawing) area!
    I'd vote NO to the tabbed interface. Although if it can be turned on or off obviously that would make a difference.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    ...Although if it can be turned on or off obviously that would make a difference.
    This seems a great addition to change between docs easily. If implemented as an option as ss-kalm sugests everyone would be pleased.

Nice visualization sledger!

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Now we're forced to use large icons, I don't want to lose any more screen (drawing) area!.
    True, it would have to be done more intelligently.
    eg; using the full screen option (num 8) would maximise drawing area leaving the document tabs along the top (similar to the google chrome appearance).

Thumbs up Re: Tabbed Interface

A tabbed document interface could also be a useful option for editing pages in a multi-page document or website. If it were optional, there'd be no loss of screen real estate when it was not needed.

Conversely, tabbed galleries would provide a welcome screen real estate increase to anyone who keeps more than one gallery open. This is a well-used feature of MS Visual Studio with its large number of windows.

Marc

We would have to be careful not to lose the ability to have two views open on the same document at once.

I know that's a little used feature but it is quite powerful (each view can be zoomed differently, scrolled differently and have a different view quality) and it would be shame to lose it. It might come into it's own one day in conjunction with some other feature.

Phil

I agree with Phil.

The New View (Window menu > New View) is an excellent feature.

You can have an overall view of your project and a different view to zoom in to work on details. Both views are updated as you work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_View.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	73604  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

used all the time by me to see how the drawing looks at printed size whilst actually drawing - I could not work the way I do without it [multiple view that is]
    Last edited by handrawn; 25 June 2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: clarity
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Most apps I know that use tabs allow multiple views - the convention seems to be the file name, followed by a colon, followed by the view details. Definitely a useful feature.

I agree with Phil and Bill. The New View feature is very valuable, and I wouldn't want to lose it.

Recently, I've been wishing for a way to make pages invisible sometimes. Although I have to futz a little to get the views lined up the way I need them, I can effectively use New View to display only the pages I want to see and in the desired zoom. Invaluable for comparing photo modifications within a single file.

Thumbs up Re: Tabbed Interface

I think a tabbed document interface AND tabbed galleries are a great idea, +1 for both from me.

Surely this could be implemented very unobtrusively, like it's done in Firefox. That is, you can have the tab bar displayed or not, but the same shortcuts that used to work to skip between open documents still work, and extra windows are still allowed.

I would also say that like FF (and maybe other tabbed interfaces, but it's the first that comes to mind), having that extra short tab to the right with a '+' on it as a synonym for File->New would be handy as well. I'm used to being able to do that to quickly get a new document open.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.