Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This is spoken of in the help file but I find it very difficult to follow. However, it does appear to be beneficial if you can figure out how it works. That being said, does anyone know of, or have, a good tutorial on this method?

I'm getting better at creating graphics in Xara and now need to better optimize my images using different slicing methods.

Thanks,
    Steve

This is spoken of in the help file but I find it very difficult to follow. However, it does appear to be beneficial if you can figure out how it works. That being said, does anyone know of, or have, a good tutorial on this method?

I'm getting better at creating graphics in Xara and now need to better optimize my images using different slicing methods.

Thanks,
    Steve

Which Method?

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

I'm not Psychic :-)

But look at this Xara Xone TIPs page and let me know if this is what you are referring to. (the second from the top).

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

My apology, I should have been more detailed in my original post. It was late and I was tired. Here is what I am referring to. Theb help file states that the "alternative" method to slice images is similar to photoshop, but it's challeging to learn.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slicing.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	13565  

Steve

I think you are referring to slicing an image into smaller parts to be reassembled on a web page. If so, there is a Basic Image Slicing Tutorial on Page 7 of WebXealot 24.

For new users, the WebXealots (on the The Xara Xone #16-32 are a kind of on-line illustrated manual. I tried to cover as many aspects as Xara as possible. Have a look and see if this is what you have in mind.

John - I did not know that about the caps in HTML. I usually make everything lowercase, but lately a lot of images I have been receiving have had caps and lowercase in their titles. Sheesh one site has 95 paintings, all in caps and lowercase. I better check that out on some older browers.

Gary

Hi,

I think the lower/uppercase problems lie at the server level not with the client/browser. Linux and UNIX are case sensitive, so pic1.jpg is not the same as Pic1.jpg. If the case of the name of the file is the same as the case used in the reference in the IMG tag, or in the link then everything should be OK. I do tend to stick to lower case for everything though, just to be on the safe side.

With servers running on the Microsoft platform (as far as I'm aware that's both IIS and Apache) there is no case sensitivity issue - but then again there are all the other issues!

John

John has pretty much nailed it there. Client/browsers can present problems but it is the server that needs the links to be perfectly clear. It is best to always use lower case - there is no reason not to. Also it is best to standardise on your file extension names ie use htm or html but not both. Same goes for jpg or jpeg. Both work, but it is worth noting that html has precedence over htm - if you have two files on your site root: index.htm and index.html then the html version will be served. I often use this as a "blind" file when building sites for clients - if the general public browses to newsite.com then they will just see the holding page which is index.html. The client can go to newsite.com/index.htm and see the whole thing. When the site is ready to go live just kill the .html file.
    Old clunky Netscape 4 has problems with spaces in file names so if you have filenames comprised of more than one word then join up the words with underscores or hyphens like: big_new_picture.jpg.
    About slicing - I have been using Xara for years and have never actually used the slicing tool - but then I also have Fireworks if things need cutting up.