Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Takes so long to upload

It appears I am having a problem with the incremental uploading. I made a slight change to one page of a large site (about 40MB), and when uploading it appears to be uploading the entire site again. See screenshot of my ftp program screen showing date/time. I double checked that the checkbox to only upload changed files was checked, and it is. The upload is progressing at 33% and 4 minutes so far. It worked fine yesterday, only thing I did was to close the program and re-open it today. Anyone have any other suggestions to look at? I'll test it again when this upload finishes (at 41%) without closing WD6. I did look at the site and it appears like the old version 5 where WD6 has renumbered my files during export and I have to refresh the page to see the correct files in the correct places.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture091.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	73283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture093.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	73284  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture092.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	73285  

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    Anyone have any other suggestions to look at?
    How about post #23 ?
    John.

covoxer,
    Yes, it's re-exported over the old version. I have a folder for every website I do. In the folder is another folder called "export". I export into that folder which only contains the index_htm_files folder and the *.htm pages. It's now just finished uploading, so I tried it again. The first (long) upload asked me for a location to export to, and it was exported to the original location (I just looked). The second time I made one small change and it didn't ask for a location and only uploaded the changed files (several seconds).

But, even though it uploaded the entire site (slowly) the first time, only some files were actually changed. I think the misplaced files were possibly from the scripts being changed in export?

Jim

Name:	capture096.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	73290  

I changed a typo and rexported to the same location on my hard drive. I got the message that a bunch of files would be replaced. When I looked at the dates in the root folder ALL my pages were the new date. The files in the files folder were pretty much unchanged, so it is a lot faster to upload than it used to be. But I was surprised that my .html pages all changed.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Please explain where are they shown as changed?
    Incremental publishing only works if you use WD to upload files.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    But I was surprised that my .html pages all changed.
    They are not changed. The file date will be updated for all files as they are re-exported. But the publishing mechanism keeps track of the actual changes made in files and do not upload files that are identical to their previous versions.
    John.

covoxer,
    Any idea why WD6 would upload my entire site first (took about a half hour) and then delete files (see attached screen capture)? The first time I tried uploading this site several days ago through WD6 it took a long time, then subsequent uploads were much faster with only the changed files uploading. The same thing happened with at least one other of my sites where only the changed files should have been uploaded but all were instead. The site then had the wrong files look of WD5 until the pages were refreshed. They were both exported over their respective old exports.

Jim

Name:	capture095.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	73297  

The deleted files are old files that are no longer used with the new version of the site. To avoid caching problems reported with WD5 sites, we do not reuse the image file names now. So if the image is altered in any way, it is exported with the new unique name and uploaded. The old image file is no longer used and so is deleted from the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    The site then had the wrong files look of WD5 until the pages were refreshed. They were both exported over their respective old exports.
    This definitely indicates that the export was not properly done over the previous version of the site. The caching problem can not occur if you've done re-export successfully.
    John.

covoxer,
    I don't think so, but you're the expert. As another test, I've opened a .web file that hasn't been opened or modified with XDP6. I clicked the publish to website button. The file first exported into my "export" folder, overwriting my old version in that same folder. Then it uploaded the entire site. Attached is a screenshot of what happened after the upload. Obviously there are a lot of files in the wrong places. I would have to refresh each page several times before it would be totally corrected. Will this always happen on the first upload? I've got another 20 or so websites to work on and I thought I was free of this WD5 behavior. Your constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Jim

EDIT: I took that same .xar file and changed one character. Again all files were uploaded instead of just the changed files. I've attached a bunch of screenshots to prove what I'm saying. The file list is viewing the server side folder with my ftp program. Note all the file dates. Sorry to take up so much of your time.

EDIT: I just noticed that when I check or uncheck the box to upload only changed files, the "Apply" button doesn't changed to highlighted.

Name:	capture097.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	73302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture100.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	73306  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture101.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	73307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture098.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	73308  

Last edited by jimhanus; 16 June 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Attached is a screenshot of what I get when I click OK. Somethings not right. I found that if I changed something else in that dialog box to make the apply button highlight then it uploads only changed files. I uninstalled and reinstalled with no improvement.

Jim

Name:	capture102.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	73311  
    Last edited by jimhanus; 16 June 2010 at 11:33 PM.

Jim that's a screen shot from Designer Pro 6 'Link' dialogue. Is this the image you intended to upload? It seems unrelated to the incremental file upload issue.