Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: PDF import problem

Thanks but I wasn't planning to buy Web Designer 6. I don't really have a need for it.

However, nobody else seems to be having this problem with importing multi-page PDF documents. The only thing that might be different is I have been using Nuance to scan and import my PDF files. I have not been using Adobe Acrobat.

Nuance is a good company. They also make Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software. The PDFs are supposed to be the same, but maybe in this specific case it's not.

Default Re: MultiPage PDF Import problem

You're welcome

Ceal,
    Your consultant pdfs will import into Inkscape. You view them page by page and can be exported as single page pdfs. Consult1.pdf, consult2.pdf, etc. I did the first page.

Bring them into Xara and export as a multi-page pdf.

I have included the xar file for the first page stage.

I am not sure if Inkscape can export as a multi-page file. Must fiddle.

Erik
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	consult1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	72612  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, thank you Steve, I really appreciate your efforts. Now, I know it can be done with a little more effort.

Actually, Web Designer might be a good idea for another project. It's certainly reasonable for $49.

What is the workaround in Web Designer if some of the users have older browsers. I thought it only worked with browsers that did CSS Level 2.

Also, the website I might work on is simple but there's about 40 pages. Doesn't Web Designer have a 10 page limit?

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    Any idea what PDF version the scanner software is saving the files as? Can you can them as TIFF files instead of saving the scanned panels in PDF format? Can you post a smaller sized PDF file that exhibits the symptoms you've described? Also, at what resolution are you scanning the images (in other words, how big are the images that are being embedded in the PDF file)?
    Haytay,

I will check the PDF version tomorrow. I know I was scanning them at 600 dpi. That was the lowest one.

Your PDF files are version 1.3

<admin mode >
    Answering your Web Designer questions in this thread would be off-topic and the wrong forum.
    Please post web designer related questions in the > Talk Web > Web Designer / Xtreme forums
    </admin mode >

Default Re: PDF import problem for multiple pages

Hi Ceal

Quote Originally Posted by Ceal View Post

Scanning to PDF is a convenience. These are not single panel cartoons but multi-page comic books. Since I was drawing them as roughs, sometimes one panel would be a whole page. When you have 38 pages or so, then it's time-consuming to create a 38 page document in Xara and bring them in one at a time.
    ok I can see that, thanks
    all this comes down to how a person prefers to work

for me one of the really nice things about xtreme is the way you can just slide around images and 'paste-up' the pages

creating a multi-page blank document in xtreme is easy with the 'insert a new blank page' button [next to the save button in default UI]

you can then select all the scanned bitmaps in one go and drag-drop them into xtreme and then slide them into place - across pages too, no problem

or drag them onto the relevant pages directly

make final tweaks as you go along

FYI - your original pdf scans open fine in CS5 illustrator though only one page at once as is normal here
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You are working the same way as I do but saving them as one doc. as I would have saved them as 11 docs or pages. If you have more files like that why not download Open Office and use that? Open Office can, as far as I know, open multi page PDF's and if they a re vector it will be editable. I don't use OF myself or have it on my hard drive but at work we use a version of it but this is a bought piece of software but I think there is no difference.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Albacore,
    I have Go-OO 3.2 installed which I believe is really OpenOffice. Anyway I have not used it much but this seemed like an interesting challenge.
    I opened consult.pdf and it came in as an 11 page file which looked promising. However,every page had the blacks and whites reversed and I do not know the program well enough to change them so I simply exported it as it was as an open office pdf. Then I imported this into XX5 without trouble.

Of course B&W was still reversed so I fixed this with Xaras contone tool. This gave me the file as I guess Ceal wants it. I exported as a Xar multi-page pdf which I've attached. It sounds messy but it was actually very quick.

A question. I had to contone each page separately in Xar. Is it possible to grab all the pages in a multi page document and contone them in one hit?

cheers, Erik
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very good
    That seemed to have worked quite well.

As to the contone question, that would be 'no'.
    But it's also off-topic in this thread.