Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Placeholder Question

Is there a way in XWD6 to use placeholder function to link to an element (e.g. Graphs) contained within an excel spreadsheet?

Question Re: Placeholder Question

My Workaround (so far)
    I have written a VBS Macro in Excel which now exports the Graphs as .png files to the index_htm_files area so that my web can pick these up via the Placeholder protocol.
    The problem I have is how do I automatically resize the .png(s) via the place holder so that they show the correct size/position. It seems the "Replace with Graphic" feature of web properties, does not auto scale the image file.
    Any ideas of how I could do this? I am using the mouseover/pop-up layer feature to call up various images (graphs).

Default Re: Placeholder Question

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
    It seems the "Replace with Graphic" feature of web properties, does not auto scale the image file.
    The "Replace with Graphic" placeholder should display the image the same dimensions as the placeholder.
    At least it does here for me.

Unhappy Re: Placeholder Question

I think I have worked out the issue. XWD6 resizes the Graphic file as part of the export to the Web URL and not dynamically when the Website loads. This is where my problem occurs. The graphic file that the placeholder links to can (and is) updated regularly by external (non XWD) means and therefor will be overwritten with a non-scaled image.
    Or have I misundersood how XWD exports the webpage?

Default Re: Placeholder Question

XWD6 resizes the Graphic file as part of the export
    WD6 will export *embedded* images at the size you define on the page.
    But WD6 will not resize images which are linked via a placeholder via the 'Replace with graphic file' setting. WD6 does not touch the referenced file at all.

The placeholder defines the size of the image displayed on the page regardless of the image size it links to. So long as the name of that image doesn't change, the placeholder will still display it according to the size of the area defined by the placeholder.

If you are having trouble with a *.web file, please attach it for inspection.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 21 April 2010 at 07:03 PM.

Wink Re: Placeholder Question

Thanks Sledger, After playing around some more I have put it down to finger trouble. I deleted and re-created the various pop-up layer placeholders and then re-linked them to the source images. All seems to work as expected now.