Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing Exercises

Default Re: Doing Exercises

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Since I don't know what you are doing, I can not help you but I can give a hint. If you are double clicking on a fill, it will open in a new window. Try clicking on the fill and dragging it over to your object and dropping it in the mug. This should work.........frank
    I have already done this part as you told me but it did not work at all. I know this issue has something to do with layers transparency but i have no knowledge so far which will allow me to finish this issue.
    I made a printscrren of what is going on when i drag texture to the EPS file, mug. I have tried to add some texture and colours to the same image but on another file called "Futuristic travel mug" and it works real fine.

Here it is the PrtSc: You will notice that the texture does not fill the vector image.

Any idea will be of great help.

Thank you all

Carlos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	71059  
    IP

Aha!

I see the problem, Carlos.

As I described in the book, the futuristic mug is a guide—I ask the reader to put it on the Guides layer for the specific purpose of drawing over it. You need to draw the design, Carlos. Without a shape on the page, there is nothing to apply the texture to.

I've attached the finished illustration shown in the book for you to take apart and see how I created it. Unfortunately, if what it is you want to do is make, for example, a brick coffee mug, I'd recommend that you check out some of Gary P.'s tutorials on the Xara Xone.

It's neither easy not intuitive to "wrap" a 2D texture using Xara into a cylinder shape. There are a number of ways to fake the effect, but I'm not sure I discussed any of them in the book.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Doing Exercises

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Aha!

I've attached the finished illustration shown in the book for you to take apart and see how I created it. Unfortunately, if what it is you want to do is make, for example, a brick coffee mug, I'd recommend that you check out some of Gary P.'s tutorials on the Xara Xone.

Gary
    Thank you Gary,
    I will do some tutorials in order to accomplish that task.

Thank you for the help

I can see I have a LOT to learn from you, and from XaraX.

Carlos
    IP

I can see that you come from a background of traditional, physical painting, Carlos, wonderful work you've posted, by the way.

If there's anything "unfortunate" about Xara Xtreme, it's that the interface makes it too darned easy for a user to forget that it's a vector drawing program!

It's not a paint program, and although lots of talented users create visuals that look like paintings and photorealistic scenes, it's all done with the intelligent and skillful use of Xara's features such as Feathering, multi-transparency shapes, blending modes...and just a lot of raw talent.

But it's all done with shapes, Carlos. You begin by roughing out the coarse geometry of a scene using closed paths you create by hand (or use preset ellipses or polygons), you fill them with a color or texture, apply properties such as transparency, a bevel edge, whatever, and then you arrange and rearrange shapes until the composition looks good to your eye. That's one of the wonders of Xara's handling of vector data—everything can be edited and rearranged. You can't do that so easily with a paint program!

Give it some time, and ask a lot of questions on TG. I have seen magnificent art come out of equally magnificent artists within a period of a few months using Xara Xtreme.

I'm sure you'll be another one in a very short time!

My Best,

Gary
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Give it some time, and ask a lot of questions on TG. I have seen magnificent art come out of equally magnificent artists within a period of a few months using Xara Xtreme.

I'm sure you'll be another one in a very short time!

My Best,

Gary
    WOW... What an inspiration your words have giving me Gary!
    Thank you SO MUCH for your understanding and for the helping hand you bring us all !

I will work in order to do so magnificent art! And I will post them here

Thank you
    IP

Artists are supposed to support other artists, not compete with them or be overly critical when the time in an artist's growth could discourage them.

That's why I write books for artists.

Go for it Carlos, and let's see some of your hard work using Xara Xtreme.

My Best,

Gary
    IP