Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: <html> and <head> placeholders

Ok, well it's not doing that for me either.

As mentioned earlier, if you group the text object that you are using as the placeholder, it does work.

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    As mentioned earlier, if you group the text object that you are using as the placeholder, it does work.
    you must not group the text object. I think there is a little bug with the <html> function.
    If you use gpholman's example, you see comment's like <!--HTML 2--> in the html-placeholders with the name <html>. After export or preview all html-code is inserted in the head section. If you put a space between "<!--" and the rest of the comment, the html-code is inserted at the very beginning of the exported html. If you now delete the inserted space (not with the undo function) and export again the html-code is inserted at the very beginning and all is ok the comment is <!--HTML 2--> which not worked with the first step .

Maybe this is fixed if you create the project with the XWD6 6.0.0. 12008. If i create a project from scratch i don't have this problem, but with gpholman's example i see the problem.

Sebastian

P.S. it's difficult to explain the problem because my english is bad
    Last edited by Sebastian; 01 April 2010 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Hi,
    you must not group the text object. I think there is a little bug with the <html> function.
    No I don't think so.
    Grouping the text object forces Xara to ignore it as actual text. You can just as easily make the placeholder a small rectangle. Which I personally find far more usefull (along with a text label like the tweaks to make things easy to identify on the page, but this is also grouped text with the rectangle)

I think the only reason gpholman used text on the page is because he was mistaken about the purpose of the <HTML> naming thinking it could be used in a way to output HTML code in the body area at the exact same line position as placed on the page in Web Designer.

Hi Sledger,
    please try it, use gpholman's example and insert only one space after the "<!--" and you will see it is working.

Yes I do see what you have explained (though I don't have to delete the space to see all code is at the very beginning).
    My point was that this is unnecessary if a placeholder is a graphic object rather than text. Grouping his text was to allow gpholman to retain the WYSIWYG effect he may have wanted to keep

However, there is a circumstance where a text character can be used as a HTML placeholder.. But I will leave you guessing on this one until the WD6 tweaks thread is ready

Thumbs up Re: <html> and <head> placeholders

Sebastian - Well spotted - that was the problem all along, not having a space after the '<!--' seems to cause problems with the HTML export. I put spaces in and all works 100% now!

Sledger - I hope I'm not going to come across as a dog that just can't let go of a bone but Xara does not need to have a text object grouped for it to work as a placeholder. Please see the attached file - these are all ungroup text objects that work fine as placeholders.

Anyway I'm really looking to the forthcoming tweaks set!

All the best
    Grant
    Attached Files Attached Files

I stand corrected. Perhaps there's a wee little bug crawling around