Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Best way to change paper size and margins mid project?

Hello,

I am in the middle of a book project for a customer. It is a collection of text and photographs spanning about 100 pages all laid out in in Xara. I was initially skeptical about taking on such a large DTP project in Xara but it has performed very well for me. Now I am faced with my first (hopefully small) problem. At the beginning of the project we established the paper size as 25.7 cm wide X 21.2 cm high. I have added guidelines around the page which are spaced exactly 1 cm from the edge on all sides to establish a 1 cm margin on all 4 sides of the page. Now the book binder has told me they would like to see a 2 cm margin on the left and right side of the page and not 1 cm.

Is there any way I can easily change the layout of my page to make this change of margin size without having to reposition all of my objects? We are flexible with the page size so I thought it would be easiest to simply make the page size 2 cm wider and then move my left and right guidelines to the new 2 cm spacing. That works fine, but I am trying to avoid having to go back to each page we have already completed and reposition all of the objects on the new page size. Right now, that is the only way I can see how to get this done. Or am I missing something? Is there any way I can somehow "lock" the objects to my guides and move them WITH the guides when I re-position them on the paper?

Sorry if this is not making sense.

Kurt

Default Re: Best way to change paper size and margins mid project?

Kurt
    I don't know of anyway to lock your objects to guides but you can anchor your graphics to an area of text so that it moves with the text.

From the Xtreme help:

Anchored Graphics
    You can position any graphic, or group, so it's tied (anchored) to a position in some text, so that as the text moves because of editing, the graphic object will move to remain at the same relative position.

To anchor a graphic or group, first copy it to the clipboard, and then in the Text tool position the cursor, and Paste. You will be given a choice of whether to paste the object as an anchored text object or not.

Just search Anchored.
    Not sure if its quite what you need in your circumstances but it might help.
    Derek