Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: What type of tutorials do you prefer?

Voters
211. This poll is closed
  • Static web-based text and screenshot tutorials

72 34.12%
  • Video tutorial

139 65.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What type of tutorials do you prefer?

Text and Screenshots, however video would also help if they were a little slower.
    IP

I like both, but if it is a video I prefer to have a slower paced one WITH audio. I hate it when you view something on YouTube and there is only video w/ no sound or it moves so fast its hard to see some of the details.

chuckray
    IP

I like Gary's web based tutorials he has the format right. I get frustrated with the Computer Arts mag based versions with the lack of content as they only have so much space allowed. Some video work reasonably well in explaining tools or features of a programme like in Adobe TV but most bore me to death. There is one chap on U tube who does AI tuts who can send me to sleep in about two minutes! Why can't people who have drawing talent spend more time showing how and less time talking. If you get a good vid on a design problem you watch it through and then you have to go through it again, pausing the vid. till you catch up and then viewing the next section. No on the whole I much prefer the web based tuts. as you can copy and paste the graphical elements into your drawing to make sure you have it right.

Thanks to Gary who has given us a wealth of topics and help.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I think a PDF or text file is almost always better. You can follow through at your own pace while working on the computer.

A video is great as an extra bonus and can be very valuable, but I think it should be an addon to a text file.

With a video you are held hostage by a slooow talker, a fast talker, a talker with a strong accent, etc.

Also some people may only have one monitor and it may be harder to run the video and program at the same time.

Often I have to painstakenly watch a video and pause, rewind, play and continue to take notes. Go back see what I missed. Then type it in WordPad ( I have bad handwtiting ) Print it out or whatever4.

I just had to do this recently with a tutor on Xara site.
    That's my take anyhow...

Lambert
    IP

Video tutorials with sound for the novice
    Irwell Vale Photography Club,
    Irwell Vale Methodist Church,Bowker Street,
    Irwell Vale,Nr Edenfield.
    IP

There's that 'Old School' side of me that likes to install software by CD, crack open the manual or print out the tutorial to follow the recipe as I work through the tut.

On the other hand, a video tutorial can be quite effective IF . . . it's paced out and presented in a detailed fashion. I've seen great ones and lousy ones.
    IP

There are a lot of members at TG who gladly volunteer their time and effort to describe a method or show a tip by whatever means they feel comfortable with. It could be graphically or textually represented or by live action video with or without audio. It could be a simple tip or a mini-tutorial.
    Often these postings are in the first instance for the benefit of the OP though of course it's possible for anyone to be enlightened from them.
    Very few people here are professional media presenters - this should be kept in mind when considering the rating you give to the efforts of a fellow member.
    IP

Video, except when very carefully planned, produced, and post-edited, is inherently inefficient for conveying technical instruction.

The vast majority of video "tutorials" which nowadays glut every user forum or "how to" search results are just intollerable.

Well-written static material is much preferred.

JET
    IP

I prefer step-by-step text for the simple stuff and video for the complex stuff.

As a writer, I'm always appreciative of anyone who can write a good, easy-to-follow manual. Those people are golden.
    IP

I prefer video tutorials, they are such an efficient way to pick the brain of great artists. You get much more teaching put into less time and the author can give all the little important tips&trix while drawing.

I was using Inkscape before Xara and I have spendt many hours watching and learning from the HeathenX videos. I would like to watch more Xara videos teaching basic vector drawing methods and 'productivivy'.

best regards

JimR
    IP