Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Print grids or Guide Lines?

Been a while since I have been in the forum...Hello to all and have a good Holiday season!

Question: Anyone know if there is a trick that I can use to print the guides or grid marks with the selected items I wish to print? Purpose is for orientation when doing a transfer of a design for engraving. Hard to get things centered without the guide lines.

Any help or tips would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Andrew

Default Re: Print grids or Guide Lines?

After creating your normal guides in Xtreme, you could create a new layer (name it something like: print-guides) and with snap-to-guides enabled, draw matching lines manually as suited.

You can copy and paste guides to another layer, as with any object, but on a non-guide layer they will appear as solid black lines. A quick visit to the line gallery and a colour change will give them the appearance of guides in no time.

Thanks! Both of you. I tried the suggestions, copy and paste didn't work for me but the other suggestion did and they printed. Might have something to do with the fact that I have only pro 4 and not 5. Can't muster the money up at this time of the year. Anyway...I knew some one of you would have the trick. Thanks! And, Mark my words, if you can tell me how to copy a guide and paste, please do. Willing to learn!
    Andrew

I have Xtreme 4 too, simply select the guides you want or press CTRL+A (select all), press CTRL+C (copy), switch to the layer you want them on and press CTRL+Shift+V (paste in place).

The lines will appear as solid and black on a non-guide layer, but you will find lots of dotted line styles in the DASH PATTERNS folder in the Line gallery (F12).
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 14 December 2009 at 05:50 PM.

Not sure I'm following you at all Mark.
    the Guides (single or all) are not selectable objects which can be copied to the clipboard in the Guide Layer in any version of Xtreme I have.

Are we on the same page here?

Hmm... this is interesting. I think I have found the problem or at least the reason why it works for me and not you.

Because of the nature of my own work, which tends to be more illustrative than design orientated, I draw and place my own guides, which are rarely perpendicular. After trying them, I can see that the horizontal and vertical guides put in place by the program are, as you say not selectable as objects, but the "hand-drawn" guides are. I had not noticed this before, my apologies for any confusion.

You can get around this dudelsack, simply by including "hand-drawn" vertical and horizontal guides as part of your template, these will then be available for each document opened with this template and they can be copied, pasted, rotated and skewed just as any object can.By the way, the copy and paste operation works "the other way around" as it were, meaning you can copy an object from any layer and paste it to the guide layer and it will appear as a guide.
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 15 December 2009 at 11:34 AM.

Hmm, me too...

Just getting ready to say that I can't select the guides when I see that the issue has already been addressed. So at least I'm not incorrect. The "other way around is though very interesting...Thanks!
    Thanks to both of you as I now can work with making the snap to grid lines and using them. What with old eyes, it became a task to center some text on something I wanted to engrave and really get it right. This will help me. And...reduce the embarrasment of having to go with a workpiece to my daughter-in-law for her to see with her young eyes if I have centered things correctly. ;-)

Thanks!
    Andrew