Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Are Xara supporting XWD?

Apart from your own opinion Jinker where do you get the impression that XWD has been abandoned. XWD is not Webstyle which was a completely template based application. It is a standalone web design program in which the user can use their own skills to design web pages should they wish, or use templates should they choose.

Are you just posting to troll? If not then please ask questions in a more constructive manner.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

XWD is NOT abandoned.
    John.
    IP

Just wanted to post to give the +1 to XWD under Windows 7. I use Xtreme 5 Pro now instead, but had no issues with XWD under Win7.

The only issue that I've had has more to do with xtreme Pro and multiple CPU cores, but nothing to report as to a difference between the way xtreme operates under XP, Vista, or Windows 7 - except for whatever inherent improvements win7 is bringing.
    IP

I also have had no problems with Web Designer or Xtreme 5 or Xtreme Pro 5 on Windows 7.

Perhaps confusing Webstyle and Web Designer has occurred. There have been people reporting issues getting Webstyle installed on Windows 7. This should not be a surprise as Webstyle was last released in 2004 and is now retired. Using XP Compatability works for Webstyle and is not needed for Web Designer.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Apart from your own opinion Jinker where do you get the impression that XWD has been abandoned. XWD is not Webstyle which was a completely template based application. It is a standalone web design program in which the user can use their own skills to design web pages should they wish, or use templates should they choose.

Are you just posting to troll? If not then please ask questions in a more constructive manner.
    My original question if you care to look, and put your brain into gear was to ask about the percieved lack of anything to do with this programme since March 09.
    It was other posters who suggested the programme had been superceeded/abandoned in favour of Xtreme which was more powerful, and from their reasoning that looks about right.

Hi
    Xara Web Designer has been superceeded by Xara Xtreme Pro5 and Xara Xtreme 5.
    I don't know if there was ever intentions to release template packs and I also
    don’t know of many patches ever having been released for Xara software as thankfully it hasn't generally needed them.
    Derek

I believe Xara is working on an updated version of Web Designer. But for the time being, as Derek points out, Xtreme 5 has superseded Web Designer.

My guess is Web Designer will be released with new features that will later find their way into Xtreme.

The big difference between the two products is Web Designer is a stipped down version of Xtreme and lacks many of the tools and functions. It was designed primarily as a website design package with some drawing tools and functions. And it costs less.

Xtreme is a very powerful graphics, drawing and photo editing program that also includes web site design and publishing functions.
    And don't accuse people of being Trolls just because they want to discuss something you clearly don't

Jinker
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 29 October 2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Correcting quote post
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    [Web Designer] was designed primarily as a website design package with some drawing tools and functions. And it costs less.

Xtreme is a very powerful graphics, drawing and photo editing program that also includes web site design and publishing functions.
    A trifle disappointing then for those of us who paid good money for one, only to find it was included in the the next version of the other.
    IP

With all due respect Jimi.. This is a rehash of the same comments of months ago.

The OP asked if Xara still support XWD.
    The answer is 'Yes'

The OP suggested that XWD has problems with Windows 7 - the answer is 'No' it does not.

The OP has been reminded that posting in any aggressive non-civil manner which could be regarded as 'baiting' is seen as trolling.

We welcome objective discussion, however any attempt to get a 'rise' from members by not following the 'Please Be Civil' guidelines of TG will only cause moderators and the Admin to sit up.

Further travel along this road will lead to thread closure.
    IP

Hi Jinker,

Clearly you don't understand what XWD is or how it is marketed. It is a web design tool. Xtreme is a combination web design tool and web design tool. Those that want to build websites on the cheap can do a masterful job with XWD. If they want to also do art work in whatever form, that they are able to do with a variation of Xtreme.

I don't see that Xara has abandoned XWD at all. In fact I'm pretty sure I've read posts here that support the opposite view of how Xara wants to enhance XWD more now that they have the resources to do so.

I personally have both and will use XWD if I need to make a website quickly, it works very well with that.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jinker View Post
    My original question if you care to look, and put your brain into gear
    Emmm... Perhaps if you'd "put your brain into gear" before asking silly questions like that, you'd understand that XWD, unlike webstyle, is not a template based program. It's like Xtreme. Now count how many template packs were released for Xtreme. None? Does it mean Xara doesn't support Xtreme?
    Now, spin that gear further and think about updates. How often we release updates for Xtreme? How much time passed from the last update to the retirement of the Webstyle?
    It was other posters who suggested the programme had been superceeded/abandoned in favour of Xtreme
    Yes, they are wrong. This is a false statement. XWD is NOT superseded by Xtreme just as Xtreme is NOT superseded by Xtreme Pro. Think about the price and market positioning.
    Many people are confused this way because XWD was released earlier than cmparable web features were added to Xtreme. It's not called Xtreme too. But that doesn't make it any different - XWD relates to Xtreme exactly the same way as Xtreme relates to Xtreme Pro. It has less features but costs less. That's it. We had 2 variant to chose from, now we have 3. That simple.
    John.
    IP

Right I get it. Ask a question that you don't like here, and you're either a Troll or unable to construct a question properly?
    I would love to know what part of my original question was agressive, but in the world of this forum different rules obviously apply.
    Seems strange that nothing has happened with this programme for 7 months, and in that respect I can see where the other forum users who think its been superceded get their impression from. Same impression I was getting after coming back to see what developments had taken place. The simple answer was - none!

It was cheap and in that respect its no big deal.

Jinker
    IP