Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are Xara supporting XWD?

I bought this when it first came out but for whatever reason haven't used it much so thought I'd revist and see if things have progressed but I question are Xara supporting this programme?
    I only ask as there's been no template packs made available like they used to with Webstyle 4. And, looking at the version date on the download it's not been patched or updated since March 09?
    I see from other posts Win7 causes problems, and XWD has to be run in a compatibility mode. Why? Didn't they know Win7 was coming and launching on 22nd October 2009?
    Doesn't look like they're pushing this one along to me, but I might be wrong?
    I thought the idea was to add additional features but that doesn't seem to be happening?

Any thoughts?

jinker
    IP

Default Re: Are Xara supporting XWD?

Hi
    Xara Web Designer has been superceeded by Xara Xtreme Pro5 and Xara Xtreme 5.
    I don't know if there was ever intentions to release template packs and I also
    don’t know of many patches ever having been released for Xara software as thankfully it hasn't generally needed them.
    Derek
    IP

Actually, I find these quick good questions. Superseded? In the context here, that word to me reads "abandoned, and replaced by"... It would be interesting to know the plans for patches and templates for that product. Otherwise, why release it? Not criticizing, just wondering.

The Adobe Photoshop CS5 whispers are abounding, and Photoshop Elements 8 (generation CS5) is already out. Talking about product lines, has there been any rumblings of Xara 6 beta?
    IP

Jinker

I believe Xara is working on an updated version of Web Designer. But for the time being, as Derek points out, Xtreme 5 has superseded Web Designer.

My guess is Web Designer will be released with new features that will later find their way into Xtreme.

The big difference between the two products is Web Designer is a stipped down version of Xtreme and lacks many of the tools and functions. It was designed primarily as a website design package with some drawing tools and functions. And it costs less.

Xtreme is a very powerful graphics, drawing and photo editing program that also includes web site design and publishing functions.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    Talking about product lines, has there been any rumblings of Xara 6 beta?
    Ok, here's the rumble: there will be Xtreme 6 !
    John.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jinker View Post
    I see from other posts Win7 causes problems, and XWD has to be run in a compatibility mode. Why? Didn't they know Win7 was coming and launching on 22nd October 2009?
    Untrue.
    I have installed and can run XWD under Windows 7 Pro 64bit without any special precautions or settings.
    It is Windows 7 compatible.
    IP

Interesting answers, and I think it looks like from what you're saying it has been abandoned. Now that's taking the biscuit a wee bit if it has, because I distictly remember reading XARA company blurb stating XWD was the best thing since sliced bread.
    In fact they're still pushing it heavily on their website which doesn't suggest to me they'd rather someone purchase Xtreme? here
    I thought the lack of featues did make it limited but as you say it was cheap.

Another quick question: If they have abandoned it does the rule about a certain number of activations still exist. I think I will be up to 3 now as i'm upgrading to Win7 and wanted to re-install XWD?

Doesn't seem fair to me to abandon a product but still keep the activation regime in place?

Jinker
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jinker View Post
    Another quick question: If they have abandoned it does the rule about a certain number of activations still exist. I think I will be up to 3 now as i'm upgrading to Win7 and wanted to re-install XWD?
    As I recall, the activations limit applies only to activating on *different hardware* (installing on a different computer).
    Re installing and activating your license on the same computer does not have this limit.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Untrue.
    I have installed and can run XWD under Windows 7 Pro 64bit without any special precautions or settings.
    It is Windows 7 compatible.
    What's untrue? The posts about Win7 problems? - nope they exist, so somebody is having issues? Not you maybe, but definitely somebody? So in that regard it is true?
    I'm only interested because I want to install it on Win7 myself so will give it a go in any event because I can always use compatibility mode if needed.

learnt that here today

jinker
    IP

It is untrue that Windows 7 causes problems for Xara Web Designer.
    It may be true that some people experience installation problems.
    IP