Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: WMF Import

Default WMF Import

I recently installed the free Xara Xs software from the Computer Shopper disk and was really impressed with it - particularly as I spend a lot of time creating coloured presentation drawings from CAD files. I exported part of a CAD file as a wmf file (I figured this was probably a good option as it would keep everything in vector format) and it imported perfectly.
    Because of this I downloaded a trial copy of Xara Xtreme to check out some of the extra features. Unfortunately I can no longer import the wmf files correctly - they are distorted ie. The aspect ration is incorrect, they seem to be squashed up in the Y axis. I also downloaded the Xtreme Pro version and the same problem occurred. Presumably I could save my Xara Xs file as a native Xara file and open it up in Xara Xtreme, but if I do upgrade I don't really want to have this hassle every time. Could anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks

Default Re: WMF Import

Can't reproduce what you say in XPro5 either in AI or MS Paint both open with the proper scale and pixel dimensions! Maybe you could do a re-install?
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi Cadman,

You can try to export to illustrator from your cad application, or to print with a pdf printer (there is a couple of free ones).

Pdf printing tends to be less accurate than illustrator (AI) files.

Marc

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, AutoCAD doesn't appear to export to AI files. I have tried the pdf option and that works okay (not quite as accurate but will probably do). I have noticed though that whereas the wmf import came in quite cleanly with all lines separate, the pdf import seems to group some lines together (even different thicknesses) The `ungroup' option is greyed out and I just wondered what the method was for `exploding' to individual lines.

Thanks

Typically the pdf export/import is better than the wmf when arcs are involved. Do some experimenting, but I have found that the wmf doesn't handle arcs well.

The explode is probably the "break shapes", rather than ungroup.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You can also try Postscript plot in Autocad.

It will cast an eps file