Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Arrow Can I create objects of a certain pixel size?

Right at the very start, say you knew you wanted a simple 10x10 pixel square for example, can you start a document with that size?

If so, how about for more complex shapes... and can you draw something and then say you want the longest side to be a certain pixel size?

Thanks.

Default Re: Can I create objects of a certain pixel size?

Hi. Just use the width/height inputs to change the size (keeping the padlock icon to the right of the percentage symbols checked if you want to maintain ratio). This applies for any shapes. The white page size is not relevant really unless you're making web pages

You can set units as default by going to Utilities>>Options>>Units or right clicking on the page then selecting Page Options>>Units
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	size.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	65724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	size_02.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	65726  

Last edited by zaphodeist; 14 September 2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: default settings
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

When you say "start a document", do you mean start with a page that size? If so, yes, so long as it meets Xtreme's minimum.

However, it sounds as if you're coming from a bitmap mindset. When you're working with a draw or vector application, you can create objects of whatever size you like regardless of the page size. You can create as many objects on the page as you like. And you can scale them or reshape them as needed.

In the attached image, I've drawn your 10px x 10px square, then made the long side (width) 40px. The green arrow points to the size of the selected object where it's displayed in the toolbar.

There are other threads in the forum that discuss the differences between vectors and bitmaps. Try doing a search, and then try using the Rectangle, Ellipse and Quickshape tools to experiment. For me, poking around can be more informative initially than reading an explanation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	initial_object_size.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	65725  

Just as a further comment on page sizes, it can be a common pitfall to think "I want to make a 32x32 pixel icon, so I need a 32x32 pixel page size". This is not the case.

When you finish your drawing and you're ready to export it to use it (say exporting that 32x32 pixel icon as a PNG file for web use), you're not forced to export the entire page.

You can export the entire page, just the object(s) in the current selection or even everything that you drew without the extra page around it.

There are times when the page size is important, say if you were making a document to be printed or a poster or something.

As amoore says, be careful of getting trapped in the bitmap mindset of what the page actually represents.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

That's good of you all to go to so much trouble, thanks.

I have two more questions I'm dying to ask:

How do I get rid of the black line around my beautiful blue 10x10 squares?

And can I write a word over a transparent background such that when added to a website the background colour/image set by the site's style would shine though the transparency?

1) Hold down SHIFT key and click on the hatched square at the left of the colour line.

2) If you're using XXP to make the web-page just type your text and position it wherever. If not, export the text as PNG with the COLOUR DEPTH setting at "True Colour + Alpha"

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks neodeist

I was running back here as fast as I could to delete my transparency question... transparency... it just does it.

Hatched square found. Goodbye line.