Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Talking XaReg to the Rescue!

Bill just finished this week's issue of Good Morning, Sunshine! and as he hit ctrl+s for the last time the computer shut itself down. When the computer was turned back on after a good cleaning everything seems to be working fine, however the Good Morning xar file was corrupted. A whole week's work turned into nothing.

But all was not lost because I had used XaReg to set Xtreme to make .bak files! Within mins we were back in business, and since we have made it a habit to save often we only lost about 5 mins worth of work!

Thank you Bill And Steve for this wonderful tool, I wouldn't feel comfortable changing the registry without it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: XaReg to the Rescue!

Always nice to hear
    And good you remembered to thank Bill first (who did the programming side of things)

Hi Frances,

It is good to know our efforts are helping our extended Xara family.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Exclamation Re: XaReg to the Rescue!

Hi Frances,

While reading your thread, I thought that I had to warn you, and possibly other readers, that at any point in time your entire hard disk may fail and all data on it will be lost forever (drawings, pictures, accounting,...).
    Having Xara generate a bak file automatically is a good safety mesure, however you really want to consider to backup all the data you have on your hard drive.

Voila, I hope that you do not think that I'm patronizing you, but I have seen so many people around me desperate because of the loss of their data that I really wanted to help with this advice.

Regards,
    Bernard

Very good advice Bernard.

With low cost external USB drives it does not cost a lot to backup your entire system. Windows Backup comes free with Windows and does a very good job inspite of what many Microsoft bashers will try to tell you.

I used Windows Backup on my network server at a former job for 10 years and never had any problems restoring either a single file or an entire drive as required.

Over 300 user's on the network and all of them had their own personal folder on the server. All of the single file restores were due to the user accidentally deleting their current file instead of a history file.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update