Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: CMYK - color profiles

This is a difficult question to answer without seeing the picture as I would never convert into CYMK before making a PDF. Minimiro is right as Xara will reconvert the photo back into RGB which might give the photo a real washed out look, you'll discover quickly that each 4-color process behaves differently when the ink meets paper. And only experience will serve you in perfecting your process. Presses are like people and cars; each behaves a little differently.

What I am really trying to say if the photo is not the main part of the drawing it might be fine as you can bring up the levels using the Photo Tool. If it is a picture of a person then the skin might be an odd colour and really the use of PS is a must. There is real skill required to get the gamut right, not just using the warnings or using lab. Work with a local printing shop and get a wet print and you can find out other details which will help you. If you need more help please come back and I will try and help as well.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Default Re: CMYK - color profiles

It looks like that a good workflow is to do the work in rgb within Xara, export in CMYK and if the translation is not good enough, do it in a software like photoshop and possibly clean the image by maybe desaturing some of the out-of-gamut colors.
    Thanks to every body for their inputs. CMY is a tough topic and so critical.