Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does Xara software offer photogallery component?

I am considering buying another Xara software. I currently use XaraWebstyle#3 but looking at XtremePro and curious if this or any other software offers that capability to create photogalleries? I currently use FrontPage to create similar galleries like here. But if there are other options available via any new Xara component, I'd lke to give them a try. Feedback appreciated.

Thanks--

BTW: FrontPage2002 is great in that it allows users to incorporate XaraWebStyle#3 as a plug-in. I also use Photoshop6.0 which is considered ancient, but as a "creature of habit", I'm trying to think outside the box for the future. (smaple attached colorized in PS6.0)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02-09.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	65093  

Default Re: Does Xara software offer photogallery component?

I believe there are some gallery templates in the Designs Gallery.

You can also use third party software such as Flash Slideshow Professional to create a Flash slide show which you can then add to your site using a simple Placeholder object.

I created this simple slideshow using Flash Slideshow Professional.

But here is a very simple and effective way to create a gallery.

Just reduce the size of your images to thumbnail size then in the Website Properties > Link section. Click Popup Photo and specify a maximum width. When your visitors click the thumbnail images a window pops up with the image. (Open the attached XAR file and click the Export and Preview icon to see the way these popups work.

You can also link the thumbnail images to individual popup layers and use a direct link or a Mouse-over link to that popup layer to display the photos such as this gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popup-gallery.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	65096  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Muchas gracias Gary. Do you mean the "designs gallery" in Xtreme or #5 version? Curious. Is there and actual link to a page describing them? Just looking to see if any Xara software offers other alternatives to what I am currently using in FrontPage. One cool thing re FP is that they allow you to incorporate Xara (or at least they did) as a plug-in. Wow, BevHills High? Must have had some cool stories come out of that educationsl bastion of knowledge & learning! Cool work you're doing, keep up the good work.

Btw, Flash makes me apprehensive in that through studying my SEO techniques, Flash is difficult for search engine bots to spider and properly index. Straight-up HTML would be cool if possible...minus the flash aspect.
    More about flash & search engine optimization here

Welcome Danno410. I don't particularly like the example gallery you've linked to above, it requires returning to a thumbnail page where the thumbnails are so small they become almost meaningless. But Xtreme could do the same no problem. You could also just use a next/back setup ( like here) that does away with the thumbnails bit.

I can't understand your aversion to Flash re the SEO link. Your only posting images, how will this effect the SEO unless you want them indexed in Google Images for example?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg: Thank you for the welcome. First and foremost, you literally blew me away. Because after searching around for the ideal gallery display component (which seems like years), yours is the most profound and simplest/most direct of what I've ever looked for. If you've looked around enough like I have, you'll notice NOTHING exisits except what you've shown in the link sample you've provided (which I appreciate greatly) - this being said, I have a few questions:

#1. Can I configure my gallery I've showed you in that link, like in the
    next/back setup you've showed, by using Xara Xtreme or Xara
    Web
    Designer?

#2. When I do begin using this method, and configure my gallery(s) in
    this next/back setup, can I copy/paste the HTML from that Xara
    software and copy into a table inside of my existing FrontPage web
    page?

Also Gary, I downloaded a trial of Xara Web Designer and did in fact verify that there are photogallery layouts available in the Designs Gallery that you mentoned - however in the trial version, it won't allow you to go any further than browse the layouts. I REALLY do want to employ Egg's next/back setup though.

Any answers into how I can do this and with which specific software and whether or not I could make the HTML compatible within my exisitng FrontPage web layouts would be appreciated. GREAT input, I've really appreciated this....

PS: I am a fulltime toonist, here is my main www.danscartoons.com and have been doing this fulltime since 1976. More about me

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 23 August 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Hello again Dan, great cartoons. There are several ways you could do this in Xara Xtreme but I think you must understand that Xtreme creates web sites based on a WYSIWYG principal so talking about implimentation with FrontPage or any other web building software like Dreamweaver isn't an option. You build your site in Xtreme and publish the html directly from there. You can't meaningfully edit it after in Dreamweaver or FrontPage for example.

That said you won't need to. XX can do it all for you.

Here's an example of using iframe place holders using Xtreme. You just create a rectangular place holder on the page and paste in the html to load the image page. You need to set the placeholder size to match your image size.

As an alternative you could simply drop your cartoons on sequential pages of Xtreme.

Personally I'd go for an autoplay flash approach.

Hope this helps. Xtreme will be a great benifit to you creating this type of site. I've attached the xar file so you can see how the iframe option works.

Bye the way, I've moved your thread to the TalkWeb forum.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 23 August 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Forgot attachment
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Really nice slide show Gary
    Do you have a link for the software?

You can also create a Fade in - Fade out slide show with this tutorial:

http://www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest71/

Do you have a link for the software?
    Ron there's a free version here.

Gary/Egg: Am I reading into this link wrong? In essence, if I could use the method of displaying my images, like in that link (next/back setup) that Egg showed, couldn't I still use Xara Web Designer in conjunction with my FrontPage software? I may be reading into this wrong...Or??

Dan, it's a long time since I've used any Xara Modules and how they integrate with Xtreme generated sites so I can't comment. The point I'm trying to make (and not very clearly) is why do you require FrontPage integration? If you create your site soley within Xtreme where does FrontPage come into the equation?
    Egg