Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XaraXone CD Question

Sorry if this has been asked before; however, I did do a Search, which gave no results.

The XaraXone CD that accompanied my XtremePro5 disc cannot be read under Vista; all I get is the initial screen with the available options. When I select, say, the pdf manual, nothing happens, apart from the Explorer window opening. Is there a workaround?

Also, is all the stuff available online anyway, rendering the CD redundant anyway?

Not a pressing issue, but any help appreciated.

Default Re: XaraXone CD Question

It seems to work fine for me in Vista Ult, but it doesn't work as you say when I try Windows 7 RC 64bit whether or not I have IE8 as my default browser or not.
    Even if I choose a different browser as default, it still opens IE8 and just shows 'Connecting'..................

Reseting the local zone to allow all active content, still fails to bring up the page content in IE8 under W7 RC.

I can however drag the Manual.html from the CD root directory into IE8 and get the 'Active Content' security prompt as shown below.
    Clicking 'yes' allows the content to show and it works fine - but after closing IE the same procedure is required to show the content again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	active-content.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	64881

Thanks for bringing this up.

Are you using Firefox as your browser as Xara only uses this, I think. Will need to get the cd's out again and try it!
    Last edited by Albacore; 18 August 2009 at 09:22 AM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Are you using Firefox as your browser as Xara only uses this,
    Do you mean to say Internet Explorer Peter?
    Not everyone has FireFox installed, but all windows users have IE.

However, as mentioned above, whether you have FireFox installed or not (I do) setting it or any other browser as the default .htm or .html handler for your system seems to be ignored by the auto runner Xara are using, as IE opens anyway, (even on my older XP machine where Opera has been the default file type handler for over 5 years!)

Yes Steve that's what I meant. I will need to give this moderating biz up that's three senior moments I have had this morning. Did you see how I spelt CD's (dids), I am away to have a sicky and go back to bed. Gurrr...

Thank goodness I am not going daft as the same happens to me opening the XaraXone disc. You have to go through my computer right click and open to get at the manual. Using the autoPlay and "Run Autorun. exe" brings up IE (as Steve has rightly reminded me of) it states connecting but nothing happens. Just right click and Open.

I may take just a sicky and not go to bed!
    Last edited by Albacore; 18 August 2009 at 09:39 AM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm using Chrome as my default browser, and I know that Chrome causes some problems. In this case, as you guys have stated, Vista defaults to IE, which then tells me it's connecting, but it hangs.

I know I can access the pdf manual, but it's useful to be able to use the interface as intended to access some of the tutorials etc.

Anyway, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    ...as you guys have stated, Vista defaults to IE, which then tells me it's connecting, but it hangs.
    Not Vista that defaults to IE, Xara's autorun menu app.