Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation When you are trying to be helpful to new users

There is something I have noticed frequently enough to warrant a post.

Many new users ask what for many of us are easy questions and many of us respond with quick and incomplete answers or in some cases just the visual solution to the problem.

If you are going to try to help answer a new user question, please try to give sufficient information or instructions so the new user can follow your advice and get the result she or he is seeking.

And remember, that even though English is the common language spoken in this forum, for many users English is a second language. So please try to be as direct and explicit as you can.

Default Re: When you are trying to be helpful to new users

Gary, could you explain what you mean?

...just kidding of course. That is super advice. Seems obvious, but it's easy to forget in our haste. [...He said as though he ever had advice to offer.]
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!

I just would like to add, posting a picture/screenshot of the issue can save yourself time to explain the problem using less words.

I ussually do it generally,if they don`t understand a certain part
    they can always ask for more info. Otherwise the way I write can get very longwinded. That is why I think that video's are way better for absolute beginners because they can see the steps in between that you might forget to mention.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Arrow Re: When you are trying to be helpful to new users

Hi Guys.

I agree with Gary's original post here.

I am an absolute beginner at XXP and when I look at some of the things that have been produced, well, they are amazing to me.

But, step-by-step, and dare I say, detailed instructions are the only way the likes of me have a chance of achieving things.

I do appreciate that you have to get the right amount of detail but for me there cannot be too much detail.

There are times I have tried a few things and half way through got stuck. Simply because there was something that was pretty obvious to the creator, but I had no idea.

Recently there was a post 'who needs a ray gun'
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39888

HayTay produce, what I can only describe as FANTASTIC work.

But, I have no idea how he went about doing some of the stuff.
    Others chipped in and made other great things.
    But, I can only look on in wonderment.
    To be totally fair, HayTay did post detailed instruction. I decided I was going to make contact and he very kindly posted instructions.
    So, thanks for that Harry.

So, step-by-step, painfully detailed instruction is what I need.

Hope I didn't make this too long!

Rik.

we all do this TG thing to be altruistic do we not? ... well I do anyway....

sometimes it is a choice of briefly giving pointers - or leaving it to someone else

you cannot have it all ways - very fast, very detailed, very free advice, all the very time...

still I am happy that there are those out there who can do this; they may become busy

another thing I would suggest - before answering a post read all the posts in the thread - yes I am as guilty of not doing this as anyone else

still if we have time to be perfectionists, we will have time to do this too
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

And for the second language part, that can get tricky if both parties
    language is their second.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Cursor used a wonderful screen capture tool (FastStone Capture) to explain a Xara anomaly in his post. Once I get Xara savvy enough to offer help, I plan on using it as well to explain things to users.

--Zee

Thumbs up Re: When you are trying to be helpful to new users

Hi Gary.

I would classify myself as a new user as I do not have the time I'd like, to dedicate to Xara. As such, I think if you are a "newbie" like me, make sure you search all the tips & tricks that are freely available here (I am certainly guilty of that just recently! )

Also, for other "newbies", be clear in what you are asking & be honest in passing on your skill level perhaps. This will let any of the more experienced posters frame an answer that will be of greater help to you.

Finally, don't be shy in asking. I visit many forums & have found TG to be one of the most positive & generous when it comes to helping others. And that is a credit to all.