Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Website hosting

Default Website hosting

I have always used a free site for my website. Problem is that it goes down all the time. I was wondering what everyone else does for hosting and how much it costs...and other options you get....how often yours goes down, etc. Thanks.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Default Re: Website hosting

I use 3iX for my personal site, rarely goes down and the support has always been good.
    My lad uses them to - he's never had a problem that I'm aware of.

It's cheap too.

For my business site I used a Sydney host, much more expensive and goes down at times too, so cost isn't always a factor for reliability.

I use me. Been in the hosting business since 2003. Currently operate 10 servers and provide support for 30 others. All are linux with cpanel installed.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Steve, that is cheap and they have multiple packages. Does it require the purchase of a domain name? I don't know how people get their own special name extensions....ie- Jacks.jumpingjacks.com.

Chris, do you have a link with innformation? Since I'm asking, maybe it's ok for you to post it?

I'll pm it to you and anyone else that asks since it's a commercial site.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

I use Cryataltech. www.crystaltech.com I have for almost 10 years. I've been down once in all that time. Decent prices, great customers service (I always talk with someone here in the US) and they're right here in Arizona. You can probably find cheaper, but you won't find better.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    Steve, that is cheap and they have multiple packages. Does it require the purchase of a domain name? I don't know how people get their own special name extensions....ie- Jacks.jumpingjacks.com.
    Domain names and hosting for the domain is always two things.
    Some hosts offer free domain name registrations with their hosting packages or cheap domain name reigstrations, or you can buy and register your own domain name with any registrar you choose, either way - you need a domain name at some point.

Once you have a domain name like http://www.jumpingjacks.com you can create 'sub-domains' like http://jacks.jumpingjacks.com via your hosted account 'cPanel' (Control Panel) if your account type offer sub-domains (most do).

The sub-domain is simply a special folder in your main domain hosting webspace.

I'd like to have my own domain name so I will be looking into that too. I thank everyone for the links to servers and Chris for the PM. I'm a hesitant shopper so it may take me a bit before I act on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    I'm a hesitant shopper so it may take me a bit before I act on this.
    Wise.

Also remember that where you buy your domain name doesn't necessarily have to be the same as where you choose to host it.

Make sure that when you pick a hosting company that you pick one with 24 hour phone support. Have gotten burned using a hosting company without phone support.
    Creating Great Designs in Life and Work
    Where I Work