Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Voters
416. This poll is closed
  • Yes

173 41.59%
  • No

195 46.88%
  • Don't know

48 11.54%

Threaded View

Default Re: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Well.. I've tried 1 beta and this RC build 7100 (I work on XP and 7 RC nearly simultaneously with copies of my documents and other things including software installations on two separate hard disks) and I must say that after initial enthusiasm and "I can't wait until it's out" attitude I have to think more about it.

One thing is that XP is like what... 8 years old? This is hell a lot of time... but it's still solid, up to date and "the most" compatible system at the moment. Besides, I'd rather want my hardware to be "too new" for the system (I have Athlon X2 5600, 4GB RAM, Radeon 4850) rather than "just enough" or slightly above average for this brand new 7. I know XP, I remember everything I need to customise after fresh format and it works OK...

Why move to 7 then?
    Well.. 7 is new, which means it has fresh ways for solving old problems. Of course, it's only RC and since I skipped Vista completely, it would be nice to switch over to 7 in the nearest future. Some things are better than in XP but I have some minor problems with the GUI and my old habits. RC is valid for a year more so I guess I have time... and I'm thinking about waiting for Service Pack 1 as it's or it hasn't been a right thing to switch to completely new system (it was like that with Win 2000, with XP and I think it will be like that with 7). But SP 1 will be something around the middle of 2010.. quite a lot of time...

And it would be nice to have a 64-bit system because when it comes to my XP, it's 32-bit and I can't use the whole 4GB of RAM... I'm using Windows 7 RC which is 64-bit so it feels like there's no waste when it comes to my RAM...

I don't know really, I'm still testing and making up my mind. I hope the prices won't be high... Vista is so expensive at the moment due to this crisis scam and exchange rates that I don't know if I want to spend more than reasonable for e.g. 7 home premium... we'll see.

I have an MSI netbook and I guess it will always have XP : )
    Last edited by Sponsi; 06 June 2009 at 02:27 PM.
    IP