Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Font oddity

Question Font oddity

Can someone please explain to me why a font would appear different at a different zoom level? The font in question is Helvetica Bold - I was trying to match a font to some artwork for a client, which a colleague of mine had identified as Helvetica Bold (I was unable to find a match) - though when I tried it out myself, it didn't appear to be a match - EXCEPT when I zoomed in closer to the font.

Here's a screenshot - take a look at the black "1" in particular:

http://cirkadian.com/helvetica.jpg

Any ideas? This was driving me crazy.
    IP

Default Re: Font oddity

Hi sheitmar and welcome to the forum. I cannot replicate the behaviour at any zoom level.
    I use CorelDraw X4 too, and the only thing I can think of is that your font may be corrupted, or that it is a dodgy version of Helvetica.
    You will see from the attached screenshot that the "1" in the top version (arial bold) looks suspiciously like the "1" in your helvetica version.
    When you go to the dropdown font menu, do you see the same choice of weights as I have?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neoshooter 3.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	61278  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Default Re: Font oddity

That DOES look a lot like Arial bold - hmm, weird!

I do have all those options - though it should be noted that I don't have those fonts available in any other program other than Corel - so I'm assuming they came with the program?

I took a copy of Helvetica Bold from my computer at work and put it on my laptop; trying it out in other programs (Photoshop, Illustrator), all is right in the world - it shows up properly - my suspicion is that the pre-installed fonts in Corel are trumping my windows installed version (as I'm not seeing it show up in the list)... sure threw me for a loop though.
    IP