Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default bleed margin question

Hi all,

How do I export to a PDF without losing my bleed margins? I'm sure I am just missing a setting, but can't seem to find it.

Thanks!!!

Default Re: bleed margin question

Hi Minicoop, I don't do a lot of PDF export but perhaps it's in the PDF Export Options / Layers / Crop & Print Marks. This is on PDFX exports.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Egg,

I tried that, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

By the way, I love your tutorials!

Have you tried enabling Image Setting in File>>Print Options?

When you say you are loosing bleed margins, are you expecting to 'see' the bleed area in the PDF?

I usually generate pdfs with bleed margins and crop marks in Ventura (my DTP app), but here's what I've found.

There are three ways to include the bleed and the crop marks in a pdf from Xtreme:

1) Set up everything manually on a page size that's larger than your desired final output, then export the whole shebang using Xtreme's pdf filter. This one is the hardest, and you need to know what you're doing.

2) Turn on the bleed margin display on the Page tab in the Options dialog. Set up the file the way you want it to look. Make sure the bleed areas extend to the bleed margin. In Xtreme's print dialog, turn on Output Printer's Marks on the Print Options Imagesetting tab. Then print to a third party pdf generator such as Jaws or Acrobat or another app, using a papaper size that's larger than your output page. A freebie generator may even work depending on your needs and your printer's requirements. See below.

3) Turn on the Imagesetting option in Xtreme's print dialog as in 2) above, then export using Xtreme's pdf filter. In the pdf export dialog, go to Advanced Options | Layers tab and tick the box under Crop and Printer Marks. Then click the Export button.

Number 3 is the easiest approach by far. However, my pdf editor thinks the resulting pdf is corrupted, although it will open it and everything looks ok on a quick scan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf_bleed_steps.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	49092  
    Last edited by amoore; 16 May 2008 at 04:15 PM.

Thank you guys for your help! It is greatly appreciated!

Are the imagesetting options only available in Xara Extreme Pro?

I think so. See the Comparison Table on the Xara website. http://www.xara.com/us/products/xtreme/buy/#. To display it, click the link in the second paragraph.