Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .asp includes?

Default .asp includes?

Sorry I'm back here already... but I currently use (on my existing website) a small asp calendar program (with an access db backend) that allows me to place an event calendar on an existing page with an include in the code as follows: <!--#INCLUDE FILE="default.asp" --> I tried using a placeholder on a rectangular object but I wasn't able to get the calendar to show up. I searched the forum and read the discussion regarding php and shtml but was unable to learn if this was possible or not. If not, I will just build a seperate blank page in frontpage and go that route. Thanks....
    IP

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Default Re: .asp includes?

Can you add the .web file so we can test?

I'm thinking you may need to add it to the Tracker Code section - but not SURE about that.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 24 March 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris
    IP

1. Does the file you are embedding it in have a .asp file extension? If not, it will likely not be parsed by the server as script and the include will not work.

2. Are you uploading for your test as the include will not be processed in XWD preview mode?

Sorry if these seem basic, but just trying to eliminate the obvious...
    IP

Hi Macultra20,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Perhaps all you need is the script from your default.asp and not the full file itself. Have you tried placing on the script into the placeholder?

Do you run IIS or the ASP developer server locally on your system? That could be another reason the script is not working.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks for your replies (so quickly I might add). I didn't forget about you, it's just that you gave me some many ideas to check out that I have been hacking away this whole time looking for errors on my side. At this point, I'm not sure that I don't have a hierarchy problem here...the Calendar package has so many includes on each page as well as a database backend, I need to make sure that all the files appear in the right place. But I did gather from you folks that, as far as you know, there shouldn't be any reason that I cannot "placehold" an .asp file. Now that I dug around so much on my existing site, the calendar there is not working either...this "webmaster" title is highly over rated. I'll be back...thanks again.
    IP

Hi,

I found that you "only" need to rename the output file from XWD to ".asp" extention so that the IIS (microsoft internet information server) will execute the ASP script in the given file.

You can see an example here: http://www.netsi.dk/XWD/embedASPOutput.asp where you also can download the example .web file.

(I had some problems because I do not know the MIME type of the WEB file. The webserver where host my pages does not have a predefined MIME type for files with ".web" extention. I searched a while and found that "image/web" worked... But is there an official MIME type for xaras files?)
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"
    IP

It Worked!
    I wasn't sure exactly what you meant when you said to change the XWD file to .asp because it appears that the program only exports to .htm But you did remind me that .asp files must reside as (or "in" as an include) an .asp file for the server to execute the file. Thanks...it worked. The only problem appears to be that XWD overwrites all files (pages) every time I upload. Not a biggie, I'll just need to change the extension to asp every time I upload it in frontpage or dreamweaver. Thanks to all...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Macultra20 View Post
    The only problem appears to be that XWD overwrites all files (pages) every time I upload. Not a biggie, I'll just need to change the extension to asp every time I upload it in frontpage or dreamweaver.
    No, you don't need to. Only the first page is forced to be htm/html. You can set any extensions you like to all other pages in your design. Just enter the filename with extension in the page file name field in the web properties dialog.
    John.
    IP

Got it...
    This forum is great...thanks again.
    IP

Info Re: .asp includes?

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    No, you don't need to. Only the first page is forced to be htm/html. You can set any extensions you like to all other pages in your design. Just enter the filename with extension in the page file name field in the web properties dialog.
    IF they have the first update of the program!
    IP