Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Please help me create chrome letters

You could first create a chrome [texture] in your graphics editor program (such as Xtreme) and then apply it onto your text in X3D and then play with the lighting angles.

Anas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome-texture.png 
Views:	610 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	54460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe-chrome.png 
Views:	589 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	54461  

True love is the ultimate truth

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi King View Post
    Having searched the web for a good way of creating chrome text I can confirm that the Eye Candy filter is about the best there is, although I'm interested in hearing about any alternatives.

Ever mindful of this I created a complete set of chrome alphabet letters in Arial Bold which I sell on the microstock sites. The biggest problem is that chrome is basically a reflection of whatever is in front of it.

The Eye Candy filter is great for angled edges but the front face will be disappointing. The best effect I've found for doing that is a simple light to dark grey gradient placed on top, as below. Still not quite chrome. I'm open to suggestions on bettering it.
    Plasma filled text.
    Bevelled.
    Live effects> Colour with gradient> Chrome.

This method is longer but gives more control and is more fun. You could use any Fill.

Name:	abcd-chrome.png 
Views:	623 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	54463  
    True love is the ultimate truth

i like how you did that in the ironclad fonts. i tried it but i couldnt get mine leveled enough, they were raised so much that the dimples in the middle didnt show too good

Hi Silverdog, it seems we may be veering off-topic for the xara 3D forum, but to answer your question, when using the Eyecandy Chrome filter, try lowering the Bevel Width and Bevel Height sliders, this should give you the effect you want. It's worth exploring the various settings on the Basic, Lighting, and Bevel Profile Tabs, as well as the Reflections Map and the Settings Menu. You can get a remarkable amount of variations just fiddling with these.
    I made a few adjustments to my previous attachment, below.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	chrome.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	54512  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 20 December 2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: amend graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

If, for the sake of purity, you want a vector end product, then you could do this;
    Using just Xara Xtreme, type your text. I used Gil Sans Bold.
    I changed the line properties to a Mitre Join, increased the tracking (ie widened the gap between the letters) to allow enough space for a contour and inset the path to give a bolder text.
    Then I converted the contoured text to editable shapes so that I could add an inner flat bevel.
    I then used the fill tool to create a fractal plasma fill of 2 different shades of grey for the front face of the text, then again with another 2 different shades of grey for the bevel.
    To give the 3D effect I chose a floor shadow for the text, and put a grey rectangle behind the text, and gave it a floor perspective mould at about half the height of the text, and applied a linear transparency to it to create a depth of field.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	chrome vector.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	54514  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 20 December 2008 at 09:47 AM. Reason: clarification
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

The best Methode for CHROME is LIVE-Effect -> Eye Candy -> Chrome
    You must play with the settings for best result.
    With Transparency and Shadow-Effect you have a glossy-shine Text.

Name:	my_3d_bsp_text.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	54900  

Nice information,Thanks!