Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Different page length within one website?

In a website, is there a way to make one page larger in length than the others? Or do all the pages have to be the same size? I'm in the middle of doing a website and need one page a lot longer than the others and don't want to have to re-do everything.

Default Re: Different page length within one website?

Hi Jim,

short answer:
    Use a WYSIWYG-Web-Editing-Program

It saves more time, even if you have to learn it - i know Xtreme has got a lot of features but for instance if you create your website with NetObjects Fusion in relation to Xtreme it is like you trying to create a Logo with Xtreme in relation like you try to create it with MS-Paint.
    Yes it is possible to create a logo with MS-Paint but would you seriously try to create one with it since you knew all features of Xtreme, and it offers so much more you do not have in MS-Paint.

Believe me - i have read the perfect made tutorial here:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36091

and i know how much time it has cost to create this, because i do professional software-trainings for NetObjects Fusion - but as i read how difficult it is to create a website with more than one site and in your case with different length i have to say:
    It is much more easier to do this with Fusion.

So drop MS-Paint for Logocreation and use Xtreme.

Best Regards
    Michael

XaReg from Bill Taylor (Soquili) access a hidden registry setting which allows different size pages in the one .xar file.
    'All Pages the Same' is 'enabled' by default. 'Disable' it by removing the tick and close XaReg (Xtreme must not be open while you make changes).
    It is however an unsupported feature, so take care.
    Having said that - I have used it without any problems to date.
    Download XaReg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allpagesthesame.png 
Views:	261 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	55748  
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 27 January 2009 at 09:45 AM.

Michael,
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I've used FrontPage for many years so I do have that option besides Xara if I want it. This was just a specific situation that hadn't come up before.

Sledger,
    I tried XaReg and it worked great, just what I needed. Thanks!

XaReg is perfect for this. By default, Xtreme makes every new page the same size. But if you are building a website you need pages of different lengths. And while it is a spot of bother as they say in Xtremeland, to have to constantly resize your page as the content grows, it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    XaReg from Bill Taylor (Soquili) access a hidden registry setting which allows different size pages in the one .xar file.
    'All Pages the Same' is 'enabled' by default. 'Disable' it by removing the tick and close XaReg (Xtreme must not be open while you make changes).
    It is however an unsupported feature, so take care.
    Having said that - I have used it without any problems to date.
    Download XaReg
    Wow, I did not know this. This will be a huge thing to me. Thanks for the info, I will definitely install XaReg.

Yes, if you want to use multiple page sizes within a document, use the utility (made by Sledger and Soquili) which hacks a hidden key in the registry. Xara don't support this hacking officially however, and it may lead to unexpected problems in Xara. I suspect the feature will be supported officially in the next Xara version (with a correspondingly altered tutorial).

Multiple page sizes can still be achieved in Xara 4 though by having different Xara files for different sections. Each Xara file can have a different page size--just that pages with a single file must be the same size.

RE: visual-net. It really isn't that hard to make a website in Xtreme that uses multiple HTML files; it's no harder than making one from a multi-page document once you realise what to do. Just have to get familiar with it.

The real complication in using Xara 4 for website making is that there's no feature whereby common elements like menu bars etc can be updated automatically on all pages they appear on, once a change is made to one. Each one needs to be manually edited. If it occurs on dozens of pages, this is a lot of tedious repetitive work. This means you have to get things right first time before it's cloned.

With my site, although the page size may be the same, it's only the background. The actual pages you see have different sizing within.

ie:

http://www.danshome.com/

http://www.danshome.com/index_6.htm

http://danshome.com/index_20.htm

I guess as mentioned in another thread, create a set of different length pages in another Xara file that you reference to in your current one.