Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Crop problem +

Default Crop problem +

I am having problems with Extreme4.0 I never had before -

1 - When I crop a picture, with "lock aspet" off - just as I have done many times before - it looks perfectly good in the pic editor.

However, when I then return to X-4, both sides of the cropped pic have been cropped even more - I do not have what was showing in the pic editor after cropping.

2 - When I save a page as a web page and give it a name of "index", instead of saving it as a file named "index" it give me a folder name "index.htm" and then list files underneath this. I use FILEZILLA to upload to web site but can not do so unless one file is named "index".

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And the very best to all for the Holiday Season and the coming New Year. - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Crop problem +

1. Don't use the Xara Picture Editor (XPE) to crop. Use clip in the photo tool instead. It is quicker and work better (and is non-destructive). Xara have acknowledged that XPE doesn't work properly in XX4, and shouldn't be used.

2. It should give you a file named "index.htm" and a folder named "index.htm_files" containing all the relevant pieces. Try saving again in a new empty folder of your choice.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 24 December 2008 at 04:50 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Tks, Kalm - will give it a try.

As for number 2, I am putting it in a folder with other web stuff in it but never had this problem before. It is making a new folder - index.htm_files but no index.htm file as it has done in the past.

On one of my other web sited I did in Xara all I did was drag and drop all the folder with the index.htm file over to the public.htm folder in Filezilla and it was done. But it must have a index.htm file for it to work.

Will try with a new, empty folder - should I name it index.htm_files or not?

Again, tks - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Kalm, when I used the clip tool and then sized the result down in size the quality of the picture is very, very poor. This does not happen when I had cropped in the past - don't understand why I have this problem how and not before with crop.

Guess I can crop it in MS and bring back to X4 - that keeps it sharp - but sure seems like a waste of a program like X4. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    Kalm, when I used the clip tool and then sized the result down in size the quality of the picture is very, very poor. This does not happen when I had cropped in the past - don't understand why I have this problem how and not before with crop.
    There should be no degrading of quality.
    Check the Window>>Quality setting is Very High Quality.
    Also, once you have downsized, you can use the (right-click) 'Optimize' function.

PS: Another way to crop your photo/bitmap in XX4 is to hold the numpad minus key '-' and either shift-drag from a corner node to crop/clip in aspect, or drag each edge until you arrive at the crop/clip you want.