Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help, please

Win XP...
    It seems that the more they fix it, the worse it gets...
    No wonder I'm still holding out on my old Win98 http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif .
    IP

I recently upgraded my desktop compuert to a 3GHz P4 with 1 Gig of memory. I use a 64 MB Nvidia graphivs card.
    I keep Win XP strictly up to date with downloads.
    I have not had any problems with PI10 other than the Easy Palette problem which I sent to you.
    Regards
    Greenbudgie
    IP

When you are intending on using PI, disconnect your internet and turn off your firewall and anti-virus, see if that is interferring.

We had a situation at work, where Norton was interferring with initializing our scanner. Took forever.

But then we had also gotten infested with spyware.

Running Adaware is good a couple of times a week.

I am still running PI8, though I may upgrade to 10 soon. Got a new digital camera, want to try out the high dynamic range out.

If you know when the problem occured also, it may be that there is a Windows Update that interferred with your computer, and may not have installed correctly, thereby screwing up your program. I had this happen once, had to remove the offending update and put it in again. If updates are downloading it is ususally alright to continue to work in various programs, or surf the web, occasionlly it goes haywire. Had it happen to me, but not with PI.

If you know how to "go back" to when the program worked correctly, can also solve the problem sometimes.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

To Shirly-Q

The disappearance of your Easy Pal:

When PI 10 installs it creates folders under Application Data under My Documents under your profile on your computer. PSP does a similar thing but puts it directly in your documents.

There are times that for some reason the Application Data folder may be hidden, or some how this folder got deleted or moved or the permissions for this folder aren't correct. If the file is hidden, you can tell Windows to show the file, start in My Documents and tell it to show all files, repeated if need be for all your sub folders. If you find your Easy Pal folder you may need to enable it. If you don't find it, read on.

You said you that you had uninstalled and reinstalled and nothing helped. On the last screen of the install, the last item sets up this folder that you need for your Easy Pal to work. If you leave this unchecked, this may be why it isn't working for you. When you save to your Easy Pal, the files go in here and not into Programs/Ulead/Photo Impact 8.0/whatever. There is good reason for this change, if you don't do things right, you can screw your program up. So if the user is storing these files out side of the program folder, it supposedly should work better.

However in your case you lost this folder.

If you choose to do a repair or a reinstal remember to look at the last screen which sets up your desktop icons and launches your ReadMe files and make sure that your have the Setup of Easy Pal files in your Documents checked off. No matter how many times you install, this will not install unless you put the check mark in front unless it is your original installation. Any subsequent installation, these are unchecked now by default, assuming that you don't need them, in your case I think you do.

After that, hopefully, your problem will be solved.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP