Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PNGs out of Photoshop import fuzzy

Hello all,

I recently have had to export some pictures from Xara Extreme 3.2.3 as PNGs with alpha to work on in Photoshop (just feathering some transparent areas). In PS I don't change any sizing or resolution, but when I save them and import back into Xara, they are noticeably fuzzy (out of focus, not sharp). The only PNG save option in PS is interlace or not. I've tried both with no effect. Does anyone know why this would be and if I can get the same quality PNG back into Xara that I exported? Any help and direction will be much appreciated.

Scott

Default Re: PNGs out of Photoshop import fuzzy

Hello Scott,

Maybe export the png from Xtreme at 300 dpi. That way the image will be of higher resolution when opened in Photoshop.

Have you tried using the Bitmap Feather Live Effect in Xtreme? I do not know if that will give the same results you are going for by using Photoshop.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Oh, of COURSE! I should have thought of that. Thank you!

Scott

You can reduce the resolution without any problems, but increasing the resolution, even a small amount, can create a lack of sharpness.

Another thing. If you import an 300dpi image, it will look different at 96dpi (100% zoom). If you view the image at a resolution that is closer to 300% you will see more detail in the image.

I come up with a zoom factor of 288% (96 x 3) but my math skills are dicey at best.

You could probably take Photoshop out of this workflow and just feather the edges inside Xara Xtreme, using the little Feather tool in the main toolbar. If you group all your objects it will feather them as though they were a single object.