Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: TIF Export DPI All Wrong

This subject was brought up several years ago and one of the Xara developers explained how the non-compressed tiff is imported at a lower dpi but larger width and height.

I cannot find that thread at this time.

If my poor old memory isn't too far gone, I believe the width and height information or the dpi information is not saved in the non-compressed file.

Xara uses the actual pixel width and height of the image which results in the lower dpi but greater width and height than the original image used to create the exported tiff.

If you use Photoshop to change the original image to 300 dpi you will instantly see the image width and height increase and that is without trying to save or export it.

If it is a bug then all image applications have the same bug.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

thanks Bill, for exercising your memory cells

yes - if I open the xtreme exported uncompressed tiff in photoshop CS3 I see that the 'document' size is proportionately larger, sure.

however if I do the same thing in photoshop from the start - ie export a non compressed tiff, it saves and reimports at 300dpi and the original document size

thing is entering a 300dpi [or other?] value in the xtreme export dialog box, when exporting a non-compressed tiff, is pointless - because it gets exported at 96 dpi like it or not - this is the problem
    Last edited by handrawn; 03 August 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: keep it simple [hopefully]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi

I didn't expect my question to raise such a response - thanks guys and gals for your input.

I think steve j has it right in that XXP4 gives the option of exporting both compressed and uncompressed TIFs at many DPIs other than 96. True I've been trying to export uncompressed TIFs and quite frankly have not tried compressed at all. Thing is that previous versions of Xara have exported uncompressed TIFs OK and, quite justifiably, I expected this version to do likewise. Sure I could reinstall XXP4 and export compressed TIFs but at least one of the programs I use doesn't like 'em hence the reason for wanting uncompressed TIFs.

In the light of the responses I've received, I think I'll continue with XXP3 for the time being. In the meantime though shouldn't Xara be informed that there is a problem in exporting uncompressed TIFs. Gary, you're a moderator here, can I ask your opinion of what should be done and is there anything I can do here in the UK?

Again, very many thanks for all your responses - I'm quite taken aback!

Tracey
    Last edited by traceyp; 03 August 2008 at 10:13 PM.

reading your post I think you have 'uncompressed' in a couple of places where you mean 'compressed'?

but it was uncompressed you were exporting and not LZW/compressed if I read it right

in a program like painter this issue can be a problem if you are not aware of it, as painter does not do 'document sizes' only pixels and dpi/ppi

in photoshop you can resize the 'document size' as Bill says
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Steve

Yes you're quite right. I've now corrected the error.

Actually I've got four bitmap programs (PhotoPaint 8, Elements 1.0, Photoshop 7.0 and several versions of PhotoPlus including the latest) but in all honesty I generally stick wiith the old version of PhotoPaint. Thing is, I know how to use it and it does everything I want it to do.

Quite frankly I work exclusively with TIFs - and uncompressed at that. I don't play with JPGs, PNGs or GIFs. Oh, I used to use them all but I've now got older and wiser (I think) and decided to stick with one format wherever possible and that has been TIFs. I know they can be big, very big but its what I've come to know and it works alright for me - at least until I hit my current problem with XXP4 - which is why I've reinstalled XXP3. At least it does what I want!

Tracey

what's right is what works Tracey, all else being equal - and it always helps if it's kept simple, less to worry about
    Nothing lasts forever...