Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: Backup of XtremePro 4 CD now impossible.

I was looking on the member area, not the patches page. However, I may be wrong as the download specifically states "xaraxtreme4dl.exe" thus implying a download version. Apologies!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What I see in my Account Admin area are shown below.
    The Xtreme4 DL should always be the most recent version (build) available from Xara.
    It would be reasonable to assume that this most recent version (build) would include any patches that were created excusively for the CD version released in early April (which most of us have already applied as per Charles link), so no patch would be required for the latest DL version when and if you needed it.
    There are no 'patches' shown in my member Account Admin area probably because they are not required for the DL version which appears there, being that it will always be the latest version (build).

Of course, it might be that your member Account Admin looks totally different to mine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4dl.png 
Views:	331 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	50958  

Mine looks pretty similar to that Steve!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No. It was the fact that even though I was logged in, it wasn't showing me the page I thought it should be. It only showed the patch. Grrrr.... Another website usability issue.

Wink Re: Backup of XtremePro 4 CD now impossible.

I have used Xara since Studio days and backed up every time new version comes out, this about download from your account page will only give you the e-version not the CD version as I have found out only last week.
    I cannot find my CD for Xara 4 Pro as I had a major problem with the magic box and had to do a complete reformat and software install, no trouble just download from my account, which is what I did, used the CD number (stored in seperate folder on remote H.D.) NO JOY!!! had to use the e version number on the account page.
    So I have a working copy but not what I paid for, this is confirmed when I try to apply the latest patch Pro_4.0.1_CDPATCH.EXE IT SAYS THAT IT ONLY UPDATES CD INSTALLS.
    So I am running a e version till I find my disc.
    Still better than nothing but I still think that the download should be the right one, but if you could download it this b------------ copy protection would be beaten

I have a DVD RW drive in my Dell Laptop. I would say I did get the CD version installed, but it was a horrible experience. It took over an hour and my drive was noisy as h#ll.

I saw the 4.0.1 patch posted by Charles and decided to update. I found out I was running the download version. And, if anyone is curious, you need the CD install to update with the patch as Charles says. I didn't have the CD version installed at first, so when I tried to install the patch it actually told me it couldn't update. I had to remove an older installation and reinstall the CD, then I was able to update with the patch. All in all, it was a couple of hour process.

Many times I'll copy a CD to my hard drive and install from there. It's a quicker install. I sometimes will rebuild my system and it's just easier to install from a hard drive rather than finding my CD's. I tried to do this before knowing about the copy protection. Didn't work.

I think it's really a bad move on Xara's part. Certainly if it causes problems or won't work with certain hardware. It's really only a matter of time before some hacker thwarts the process and posts a hack anyway.

My two cents!
    Last edited by RedWombat; 29 July 2008 at 06:37 PM.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by RedWombat View Post
    It's really only a matter of time before some hacker thwarts the process and posts a hack anyway.
    Already been posted if you check back a few pages.

Loosing a disc seems to me to be just careless behaviour.
    How hard is it to put it in a safe place?

> I think it's really a bad move on Xara's part.

Nah, I think it's really a bad move on Magix's part. It's a standard software protection used on their consumer software... a completely ineffective protection of course, since their software is widely and easily pirated, but then that's copy-protection for you.

I would imagine Xara had little input on the matter, and hope they can get this fixed for the next release, because I won't be buying any copy-protected software in the future. (I've paid my copy-protection headache dues in ArtWorks dongle pain, thanks.)

(For what it's worth, I also couldn't get the CD to install on my system when I chose full install. It would get about 85% done and then crash. This repeated itself a couple times, so I ended up doing a minimal install, and then manually copying the files that would have been done with a full install. As others have said, the auto-installer was much slower than almost any other thing I've ever installed, even with the minimal install. Fortunately the minimal install worked. What a piece of crap copy protection scheme.)

I do not recall having any issues installing from the CD.

However:
    My experience with various copy protection schemes over the past 20 years or so have indicated the honest users are the ones that suffer.

Copy protection may reduce the number of casual duplication for a friend, by people that do not know it violates laws and copyrights.

A 'professional' cracker will bypass any copy protection in less time than the honest user can install from a legal disc that has the protection scheme. Therefore it causes more cost to the company in increased support calls and decreased public relations.
    Last edited by Soquili; 30 July 2008 at 12:33 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update