Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to extrude to shape of image?

Appreciate all the advice everyone. I have another problem when I import a photo or image it is always extruded square instead of the shape of the imported image. How can I make my images that I have cut out of picture extrude around the specific image. Of course I just started using this program a week ago and have noticed that the images I create with the tools that xara has to offer I am able to extrude them images around the shape of the image I have chose to create. I have looked around for questions relating to this and have had trouble finding the question or answers. So, once again how do I extrude an imported image around that image with out it being extruded into a square? Thanks again for the help

Default Re: How to extrude to shape of image?

STR8M8, I have moved your post and started a new thread as this is separate topic entirely.

I think this is what you want to do...

Draw an outline around the part of the picture you want to have extruded, and then put that outline in back of the photo (Ctrl-B).

NOTE: The line has to be a closed shape, otherwise the ClipView won't work.

Select both the outline and the photo and press Q to apply a ClipView. This will clip your photo to the shape of your outline.

Then use the 3D tool to extrude that shape. Works like a charm!
    Last edited by PixelDust; 28 July 2008 at 11:20 PM.

Str8m8 the following link will explain the difference between bitmap (also known as raster) images and vector images. http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/abo...tmapvector.htm

Photos and images displayed on web pages are bitmaps. They extrude as square or rectangles because that is their true shape. In a bitmap image even the transparent pixels are still physically there and complete the square or rectangle.
    Last edited by Soquili; 29 July 2008 at 12:24 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Following PixelDust's technique, the attached shows an extrusion of the complete bitmap and clipview selections of two of the oranges within the bitmap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extrudes_clipviews.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	50988  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks again for the advice and instructions. I will get to practicing and see what happens, thanks again
    Last edited by STR8M8; 29 July 2008 at 01:53 AM.