Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hello XARA Team!

I am desperately trying to import DXF files into XARA X - do you intend to integrate such a filter in the future? DXF 12 would be perfect - I am still working with kind of 'outdated' CAD systems and would like to import the CAD drawings without having to convert them with another application (I've uninstalled all Corel apps from my machines since XARA X hit the market).

Or does anybody know a workaround or plug-in? As far as I know the source code for DXF file formats has been published by AutoDesk already years ago.

As always, I would pay for a plug-in.

And another one: a few days ago we had a thread concerning the export of extremely large TIF files - has the problem been solved with the new patch?

Any information will be appreciated!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hello XARA Team!

I am desperately trying to import DXF files into XARA X - do you intend to integrate such a filter in the future? DXF 12 would be perfect - I am still working with kind of 'outdated' CAD systems and would like to import the CAD drawings without having to convert them with another application (I've uninstalled all Corel apps from my machines since XARA X hit the market).

Or does anybody know a workaround or plug-in? As far as I know the source code for DXF file formats has been published by AutoDesk already years ago.

As always, I would pay for a plug-in.

And another one: a few days ago we had a thread concerning the export of extremely large TIF files - has the problem been solved with the new patch?

Any information will be appreciated!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I've long suspected that the Xara team doesn't appreciate how many people out there work with dxf files. If they did they would have had dxf import years ago. I also believe that if they had, they would have expanded their user base. I suspect there are almost as many people out there using dxf on a daily basis as there are using bitmap formats (excluding the digital camera crowd).

It is actually kind of sad that Xara X, a vector program, can't import or export in many vector formats. Xara Ltd. needs to better understand the needs of the CAD/3d modelling communities. I think they don't appreciate that it is moving lines and shapes between applications that matters. We don't care diddly-squat if shadows or bevels don't export.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Jens,

The only thing I can think of so you don't have to mess with Corel installations is autocad into Rhino, Rhino to .AI, and then to Xara X.

John,

yup, I know, but it would be a lot easier to have an import filter for DXF files. Of course I could use only Rhino, but for 2D CAD I prefer Ashlar Vellum DrawingBoard - it's handling and speed is unsurpassed until today! Best of all is its parametrics: so simple, yet so powerful. And as Ross mentioned: there are probably more CAD users out there who would like to see an import filter for DXF files in XARA.

jens
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

This is a main topic for me too. -But not only DXF!
    My most used program is - please apologize - not XaraX. It is Archicad from Graphisoft - a very powerful architectural CAD - but i use XaraX to make folders of the planned buildings.
    Now - I have to use screenshots for getting pictures from the CAD to Xara - what is very boaring..
    Archicad has a seperate program to make simple Layouts with its native formats - the so called plotmaker, but its really very simple and limited.

I would be be very happy to get a really functional DXF-import-Exportfilter in Xara
    AND would be most happy if Xara could read Archicads native formats too..
    But i Know-this is only a never realized dream...

Nice days in overboarding work-to You out there.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Say Jens,
    How you getting .dxf files into 3D programs ??
    I just spent over two hours going the Xara to .cmx route (Canadian company) then in C***L9 exporting as .dxf.
    THERE WERE SIX CHOICES !!! Finaly the "extension" option worked, but I saw a LOT of bad geometry.
    I think asking the Xara team to have a dxf import/export is maybe not so easy. What if they have to "reverse the normals"??
    Computers sure make our lives easier.

Regards,,,,,,,,Tad.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi Guys

If there are any programmers out there with time on their hands the following may be of interest.

Here you will find an acrobat file giving the full specification of the CMX format as well as an SDK

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/CorelSolutionPartners/CMXv8/

Probably the best place to look for information on DWG and DXF file formats is

http://www.opendwg.org/

in particular

http://www.opendwg.org/downloads/guest.htm

Finally I don't know if this page is of any use. The Converters Paradise can be found at

http://hem.spray.se/joakim.slettengren/

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

Tad,

usually I use Rhino, which has tons of 2D and 3D export filters. And *.ai for 2D, which can be imported into Cinema 4D XL. But I still love to use the rock solid and screamingly fast Ashlar Vellum DrawingBoard.

And if I develop shapes in XARA (which happens 90% of the times), I export the shapes as *.ai files, import them in Rhino or Cinema 4DXL, extrude, rotate, flow etc them to the desired 3D object.

High end 3D and CAD apps offer the *.ai import filter...

Another way is WMF. Don't laugh, it's not a joke. Some CAD and 3D apps even offer WMF import and export. Unfortunately, they don't connect the lines, and that's where the hassle starts.

Peter,

thanks for the links! I will check them later...

Heimo,

check if ArchiCAD offers WMF export - which I doubt if it's a German product (the Germans prefer to develop the wheel the fifth and sixth time...)

Ross,

let's flood this forum with posts for a plug-in filter for DXF files :-)

And what about the XARA developers????
    What do YOU guys think about this feature? This would be a real killer - another hughe target group for XARA X, believe me!

stay tuned,

jens
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Its possible to export WMF, but impossible to import it in Xara - "an error has been dedected in the...aborted" - But Thumbs for eg. can do it!
    So it seems to be a "bug" or better a "zero-tolerance" in Xara...

FIX IT!

Please.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

PS. Archicad is an Hungary product, but nevertheless the best i know - and i do know a lot CAD-Systems! And - they like to invent systems fifth and sixth time too like the germans..