Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XARA eating CPU

Default XARA eating CPU

Does anybody also have problems that Xtreme Pro (when open in background, while not working in it) sometimes can eat 80% of the CPU('s) while doing nothing? When I close the document, the CPU goes down again.
    I first thought it was only when the font browser is open but it also happens when it's closed.

My Specs:

Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0.4966
    Windows Vista 64 bit
    Q9450 Quad Core 2.66 mhz CPU
    4GB RAM

Is there a solution for this?

Default Re: XARA eating CPU

a problem in this respect was noted by xara when version 4 came out - do not know if it it has been fixed - I have not noted it since build 4966

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=31942
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Can't say I've noticed it. Just checked and even with a fairly complex multi page document open, heavy on text and graphics/photos it reads nil cpu activity when minimised or just open under Word or IE.
    Probably a Vista thing, most other problems are.

Derek
    Last edited by masque; 17 June 2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: smelling error

Xtreme.exe regularly has one of my Athlon 64 X2's cores maxxed out - I'm using XP Pro SP2 and XXP 4.0.4966.

I've not noticed a pattern and haven't been able to reproduce it, but it happens only with Xtreme and I *think* it's only when Xtreme is idle (ie, open, but with the focus elsewhere).

It doesn't noticeably slow down my PC, but I do notice when it happens because the CPU/case fans speed up and make more noise.

MAybe it is a Multi-core thing... MY runs the same on a single core. I can not duplicate this problem
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

The problem may be due to the 64bit operating system. The same problem was previously reported by users of the 64 bit version of XP.

I'm running the 32bit version of Vista Ultimate on an Intel Core 2 Duo 64bit processor and cannot duplicate the problem.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I don't think it's specific to 64 bit operating systems. I experienced the problem on XPPro 32 bit with a quad core CPU when it was initially reported. I haven't noticed it recently, but at the same time I haven't really been looking at CPU graphs either.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Xtreme.exe regularly has one of my Athlon 64 X2's cores maxxed out - I'm using XP Pro SP2 and XXP 4.0.4966.

I've not noticed a pattern and haven't been able to reproduce it, but it happens only with Xtreme and I *think* it's only when Xtreme is idle (ie, open, but with the focus elsewhere).

It doesn't noticeably slow down my PC, but I do notice when it happens because the CPU/case fans speed up and make more noise.

Exactly, same here, when I am working in another application (xara in background) I suddenly hear the case fan starts running more heavily, looking in my task manager I see Xtreme is using a lot of CPU power.

It's not limited to Vista and nor is it limited to 64 bit versions of Windows: I am using the regular 32 bit Windows XP Pro.

Restarting Xtreme is not necessary - when I close the current document the load returns to near zero.

I use a very bare machine - Windows XP, Office 2003, CS3 suite, Xtreme, accounting program, web browsers, FTP utility, backup utility and Virtual PC is pretty much all that's installed, so it's rare that the idle CPU usage is over 2%... the fan noise associated with Xtreme's jump to 50% is very noticable!

What's particularly unpleasant about this issue is when you don't notice Xara's CPU hoggery and come back to your battery-operated laptop to find it has turned off because the battery ran out of power, thereby losing all your work.