Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: 3D Objects

Default 3D Objects

I am attaching a set of 3d objects that I created in PowerPoint. I use this type of objec frequently to illustrate how our software components fit together to form a cohesive suite of products. I have been wanting to do this in Xara because I can make them look a little fancier if I can use some of the other tools in Xtreme. However, here is the problem. The Extrusion tool in Xara Xtreme makes me distort the basic shape and make it difficult to add content to the shapes and keep the text the same size on each shape. Xara makes me twist them to show the depth.

Can someone come up with a way to do this and keep the "face" of the object nice flat rectangles.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: 3D Objects

You can create simulated 3D shapes easily in Xara Xtreme. Use 3 rectangles to create your 3D shapes.

Use the Skew handles to change two of the rectangles to parallelagrams.

The shapes you created in PowerPoint and placed in Xtreme are composed of 3 shapes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skew-rectangle.gif 
Views:	203 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	49612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ppt-shapes.gif 
Views:	187 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	49613  

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: 3D Objects

Yes, I knew I could do it that way but I was hoping I could create some interest from someone at Xara to come up with a way for the extrucsion tool to be able to do it as well. I have and quite a few occasions to do this and would like to be able to do it with a single object so that it can be resized and etc without having to group it and worry about multiple shapes and getting them to all resize properly. On the ones I submitted, I showed them with gaps so it was easier to see the individual objects. In my illustrations the are normally butted against one another until I break one of them out to explain its functionality.

I do appreciate your reply and I have used that approach before with a tool that is far less sophisticated than Xara Xtreme (which I am really coming to love and looking for ways to use it more often).