Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to center a group of objects on a grid

I have an image that must be placed/repeated as a 6 x 7 grid a 14 x 10 inch sheet. Each object group must be 1.5 inches on center from each other
    The object group is made up of circles, squares, text and an image.
    How do I place it by using it's center? I cannot seem to move the handle of the group to the center (of the group) to snap copies on the grid. The handle is always at a corner.

Your comments/suggestions are truly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: How to center a group of objects on a grid

If I interpreted what your are asking correctly, try the following. It should work whether or not the vertical or horizontal spacing intervals are equal.

You already know the vertical and horizontal interval from the midpoint of each grid quadrangle to the next and since they are equal you could set up a grid (Utilities > Options > Grid and Ruler) and use the grid to your advantage (check the Help file for Grid related topics). If not, you could use some or all the methods listed below.

Go to Utilities > Options > General tab. There you have a some alternative settings you can use.
    1. NUDGE DISTANCE
    and
    2. DUPLCATION DISTANCE
    If the vertical and horizontal spacing is equal then you only have to follow the "Duplicate" method.

A.__ You set your Nudge Size for the horizontal spacing and Duplication Distance for the vertical spacing (leaving the other Duplication distance at zero) or vice versa.
    B.__Position the group in the center of a corner quadrangle of the grid.*
    C.__While it is selected, press Cntrl+D (Edit > Duplicate) and repeat until a row or column of copies has been completed.

D.__Now you could select this set of groups, Ctrl-K to clone this, and then press the appropriate arrow-key to nudge them to the next grid interval, then repeat this process. Until the grid is populated.

Or, after Step B., group the set of objects, klone them, and position them at the opposite side of the grid and do a blend from one grouped-set to the other grouped-set of your objects to another copy of that group.

I'm sure there other ways of populating a grid as well.

* There are different methods as well to initially center your group on a quadrangle of your grid. Draw a rectangle the size of your desired veritcal and horizontal interval, position it at a corner of the page, and then Ctrl+B (set to back). Select your group of objects and the rectangle. Finally, Arrange > Alignment, and use X4's new "Bounds of Back Object" with the Horizontal and Vertical options sets to Align Centrally. Delete the rectangle.
    Last edited by jclements; 02 May 2008 at 02:49 PM.

Default Re: How to center a group of objects on a grid

My interpretation of your question was that you needed some simular to prepunched business card sheets you can buy for a desktop printer.

How I go about creating the content to fill those would be to create a grid with guidelines. Then I create the content that has to fit into one "cell".

On a separate layer behind the object(s) I create a "white" shape behind my graphic the exact size of the "cell".

I then just select all the objects and copy and paste them into all the other "cells".

See attached for example...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	businesscards.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	48618  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook