Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara3d6 has failed..no image can be displayed

This is my first attempt to use a forum, so please forgive any errors in protocol. I have the same problem with 3D6 as others have had. I tried the default.x3d deletion trick and tried a new copy of the file from Xara. It did not work. I then tried other files in the /samples/shiny folder and found that a large proportion loaded as a blank, some caused the 'Xara has failed' and only a few actually worked (3Dflow2, Balthazar2, Blue bulge, DeneaneV6, Greek Xara and Homepage). I only got as far as NovemberSilverBorder in testing. Having found one that worked, I played around with it a bit and tried to export it to the desktop as a gif. After 2 messages about 'export error', I ended up at an export options screen! One could get despondent.
    My PC runs XP Home SP2, has 1GB RAM ,an AMD3000 processor, 128MB Radeon 9200 video card. I have all the Xara software, and it is installed on drive D, which is a partition of a 120GB HDD.
    I would be grateful for any help anyone can give.
    Thanks

Default Re: Xara3d6 has failed..no image can be displayed

Hi Geof and welcome,

I tried the default.x3d deletion trick and tried a new copy of the file from Xara.
    . You've lost me here. What's the 'deletion trick'?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for replying. The 'trick' was suggested by Xara support:

HI please navigate to
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application
    > Data\Xara\Xara3D6
    >
    > Here ou will find a default.x3d file
    >
    > Can you delete this. Then see if this resolves the problem
    >
    > CS
    But it did not resolve the problem! The package seems amazing, but finding so many templates that do not seem to work is dispiriting.

Further to my response earlier today.. the plot thickens! Having talked to Xara, I manually uninstalled 3D6 and downloaded another copy from my account. Same problem, even when installing to C: after D:! Installing the CD on my partners PC..... IT WORKS!!! In one sense, the problem is solved, however, do I have a problem with, say, activex controls, my video driver, or some security settings?

At the risk of more boredom, here's a funny thing...My partners PC has on-board graphics, but I have an ATI Radeon 9200 with 128MB RAM card. The working PC loads the default image, with the shodow options box ticked and style 1 showing.
    My PC loads Xara, displays the 'fail' error message, with the shadow box cleared. If I click on OK and close the 'tip' box, the shadow box then appears as ticked, and a blank area is displayed. If I then untick the shadow box option, the correct image appears and can be played with! (until I try switching shadowing on). Any ideas, anyone?

Problem solved!! I had to add Xara3D6 to the list of Data Execution Prevention exceptions.
    (Rt click 'my computer', advanced, performance, settings, DEP, and add it to the list in the lower part of the box)
    ... a complex problem solved by a very simple solution... Windows is like that....

Quote Originally Posted by geofft View Post
    Problem solved!! I had to add Xara3D6 to the list of Data Execution Prevention exceptions.
    (Rt click 'my computer', advanced, performance, settings, DEP, and add it to the list in the lower part of the box)
    ... a complex problem solved by a very simple solution... Windows is like that....
    Doesn't work on my system.

Had this error after this. I have 2 files a wmf-containing the outline (to be extruded) and a bmp-containing the bitmap texture for the WMF. If I import the wmf all goes well. Then I import the texture. When the texture is at 100% size I get this error. If I enlarge or reduce the texture the error goes away.

My machine is Q6600, 2GB ram, ATI Radeon 1950pro.

Tried the DEP solution to no avail.