Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Installing XX4P on more than one computer

Yes that is acceptable, and it is what the EULA is meant to say. It's the only reasonable and fair thing to do in my opinion. I have six computers, but there's only one of me, so I can't be cheating anyone by having it on all my machines. Other companies should take the same view in my opinion.

But this is only as long as they are my computers and under my control and can't be used by anyone else at the same time.

So in effect we're licensing the software to you the person, not tied to a specific computer.

That works for me - Thank you for clarifying that.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

WHOOOWHOOO! I will put mine on my laptop now too!

FYI...I buy a personal license for home use and have my office buy a second license for my employer, for my work machine. Though I have the only access to software on that PC, should I leave the company, they will still have a copy that is legal for another person to use. And I get to keep MY copy.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Quote Originally Posted by samrc View Post
    FYI...I buy a personal license for home use and have my office buy a second license for my employer, for my work machine. Though I have the only access to software on that PC, should I leave the company, they will still have a copy that is legal for another person to use. And I get to keep MY copy.
    I think it's now fairly obvious from what Charles has said that the second license for your employer means it is licensed to 'him' - not you or anyone else (assuming it's his name that is the registered license holder)

So in effect we're licensing the software to you the person, not tied to a specific computer.
    If the copy you use at work is registered in your name, then obviously, you hold two licenses and the EULA applies to you in both cases.

Hopefully Charles can confirm or otherwise for us both

Thanks for the clarification.

It seems that my problem activating the software on my laptop was due to me downloading the standard version by mistake and then trying to apply my Pro serial - Doh!

Ron

The license I hold in MY name (using my own email address and home mailing address) would allow me to put that software on 3 machines:
    - personal home desktop
    - personal laptop
    - work pc
    All of those machines are used solely by me and based on Charles's clarification I would be legally correct to do so.

HOWEVER, I choose to NOT use my personal license on the work pc.
    Instead, I hold a second license IN MY OWN NAME (using the company email and street address) that is used specifically for the business pc. Should I leave that company, another person would take my job, use that software fully legally. I would walk away from that license and continue to use MY personal license only. I do this method with all software that allows multiple computers because there is no conflict of who owns the software and is the company running a legal copy... The software company (XARA in this case) is not ripped off and if they continue to upgrade, it will not interfere with MY personal license.

If I used MY OWN personal license at the office, before leaving I would have to uninstall the software, stripping that machine of a resource. Otherwise imagine if it were all the same license and someone got to the upgrade before me. Then the company would get the upgrade breaks and I would be out in the cold starting from scratch! That just bite me in the end.

So its jsut cleaner and neater if there is a parting of the ways that we each have a license.
    And I leave the company with a resource I know is beneficial.
    Last edited by samrc; 03 April 2008 at 01:39 PM.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Samantha,

As Sledger says:
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    If the copy you use at work is registered in your name, then obviously, you hold two licenses and the EULA applies to you in both cases.
    It may be wiser to have the office copy changed to the business owners name. As long as only one copy is being used in the office it shouldn't be a problem that you and not the owner is using the software, but Charles should comment to be sure. As it stands, it would appear that YOU hold two licences.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 03 April 2008 at 02:51 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Samantha,

As Sledger says:It may be wiser to have the office copy changed to the business owners name. As long as only one copy is being used in the office it shouldn't be a problem that you and not the owner is using the software, but Charles should comment to be sure. As it stands, it would appear that YOU hold two licences.
    And that would mean that HE could use the program on two computers
    AT THE SAME TIME, cool.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    It may be wiser to have the office copy changed to the business owners name. As it stands, it would appear that YOU hold two licences.
    Yes, that's the cleanest way to do it and that's how I handle it. The home copy of Pro is in my name, the work copy is in the name of the place I work at. I don't want there to be any confusion between the two which keeps me out of any trouble at work. There's no question about who owns what that way.

Nope... Staying in MY name until/unless I leave the company.
    1) I have corporate credit card in MY name that matches all the registration info, easier for payment and tracking.
    2) All software specific to MY machine only (not Word, Excel, etc) are registered to my name, per request from the owner. That registration information is kept separate from the other software info so it will not be put on other machines. Limited access to the disks and serial numbers.
    3) Registered with business name, physical address and email so it is truly separate from my own personal license.
    4) When I purchased from Xara, I went through the sales staff and discussed best options.

As it stands, it would appear that YOU hold two licences.
    SO???? The owner of the company and I both know the difference.
    He wants my name on there so correspondence, updates, messages, etc all come to me not him.

The important issues:
    - Xara is paid for two licenses.
    - There is a separation between my own and the companies copies for payment and registration
    - Neither the company nor I will lose valuable software if there is a parting of the ways.
    - I trust myself to walk away from the license that is not mine.
    - Since my boss has the ability to change the name on the account at any time, he is satisfied and actually prefers to have my name on it at this time.
    Last edited by samrc; 03 April 2008 at 06:44 PM.
    -Samantha