Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text on curve

Hello everybody,

I would like to have a text around a circle and there should be a shadow behind the text. The circle should be non visible (and without a shadow!!!).

How can i edit the text without changing the circle. How can i hide the circle?

Thanx for the answers,

gnu

Hello everybody,

I would like to have a text around a circle and there should be a shadow behind the text. The circle should be non visible (and without a shadow!!!).

How can i edit the text without changing the circle. How can i hide the circle?

Thanx for the answers,

gnu

There are several options to get rid of the circle - ie to make it invisible.

However, what I would normally do is draw a circle with an outline and no fill, fit the text to the circle and then right-mouse click on the 'set no-colour' box (criss-crossed box to the left of the colour bar at the bottom of the screen). This will remove the line around the circle and it will 'vanish'. Any shadow will then only apply to the curved text itself and not the circle.

However, if you subsequently want to edit the text such as add an outline or change it's colour you will need to highlight the text only using the text tool and then edit. Otherwise you will also change the circle's fill or outline attributes etc.

You can also use CTRL+ left click on the circle and edit it separately to the text after you have fitted the text to the circle. For example you can apply a 100% flat mix transparency to the circle alone to make it invisible.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

i draw the circle and made the fill non visible;
    then i convert it to an editable shape;
    i choose the shape editor tool
    Now i put the text on the circle and press right mouse botton on the "non-visible-box"
    TATA-> the circle has disappeared!
    But when i want to do the glow-shadow on the text, the circle will glow as well. The other shadows work fine.

Maybe, there is a posibility to made the text glow without the circle.

gnu

Hold down the Ctrl key when you click on the circle. This will select just the circle, then you can set the fill and outline to none.

If you right click on the text, you also have theh option to put the text on the inside of the circle.

This is covered in Workbook #10 in the Xara Xone.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Click to make The Xara Xone #1

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

... for hidding the circle, but the glow-shadow didn't work.
    Maybe I'm clumsy!?

My target is that glow-shadow is only behind the text.

gnu

Hi Gnu41

If you select the circle with text and use the Arrange Menu > Convert to Editable shape then ungroup you can delete the circle and have the text remain.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Gnu - Yes you are right it looks like there is maybe a bug with the glow shadow? If an object is completely transparent (no fill or outline etc) I would have thought that any shadow would be too.

Sorry I missed checking out the glow shadow, I don't use it at all much, it tends to slow down redraw and save.

However, I had another look. Once you have converted your circle to shapes you then need to click on the shape editor tool (F4). Click on a node in the circle shape and break at points. Now the circle shape is a line. Attach text to circled line, do the normal right click on 'set no-colour' to remove the line and you should then be able to apply a glow shadow to the text only without the circle being shadowed. I'm not sure why this works but it seems to do the trick.

One point though, breaking at points will effect how the text wraps around the circled line (ie where it starts from).

General Note: if you remove line and fill from a shape it can be tricky to select again if you want to edit it further. If you do need to edit the shape again it is easier to find it in outline mode (go into Window-Quality-Outline) or use the 'set view quality' slider if you have it on one of your toolbars, everything will go into thin black outlines and you will be able to see the circle again.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

is the one that I use myself, esp if you are going to be using special effects on the text afterwards!!

Here is a mini tutorial on this technique.

One little step that I forgot to mention after doing the steps 5 and 6. You will then want to deselect the still grouped objects by clicking into a blank area of the work space (that will ungroup them all the way) and then select the text and go to work. Or select the circle and cut or delete it and then select your text and go to work adding your effects!

Hope it helps ya out! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fit_Text_to_Curve_then_Ungroup.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	19398  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

HALLO Gnu(Matthias)!
    Ich habe versucht, was du gesagt hast in deinem Post, und es funktioniert mit Glow Schatten. ich werde ein kleines Bitmap einfügen und bitte sag mir wenn das rechtig was, du wolltest.
    Danke...
    Lord
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Text.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	12929