Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default strange problem exporting to pdf

I created a newsletter in Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2 it has 2 double page spreads (4 pages in total) When I try to export it as a pdf one spread exports fine but the second one comes out with large portions of text and some of the graphics missing! This is the second time this has happened the first time I contacted Xara support and they said it was caused by a bitmap. This time I tried removing each bitmap one at a time, and re exporting to see if any particular bitmap was causing the problem but nothing worked.
    I am still waiting to hear back from Xara again, but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has had this problem. I'll post both the .xar file and the pdf result.
    any help would be much appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: strange problem exporting to pdf

Angelize,

I get exactly the same result exporting to PDF.

If you need PDF you could try to print to a PDF file as a workaround. Take a look at PDF995.com I use this freeware regularly as a lot of my standard programs don't have an export to PDF option. I have always had good results.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 06 February 2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi angelize,
    I downloaded your .xar file.

Many of your fonts are not installed on my system. Best to convert editable shapes before export.

What I did was to convert all to shapes (but don't actually SAVE the .xar document other wise you won't be able to edit text later), and then export to *PDF for Commercial Printing*, which I suggest would be best for such a news letter?

The resulting PDF displayed fine in Adobe Reader 8 (except of course for the font substitutions).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdfx-1a.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	45142  

Of course, if Steve's option works for you that's the best option.

NOTE: You have the last paragraph duplicated in the "Gift Disappointment" section.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I had a similar problem and made a bitmap copy of the missing graphics (holding down shift when making the copy puts it in the same position) and then exported to PDF. It worked ... I don't know why.

Mickie

I also make a duplicate file with each page a [hires] bitmap - it prints great - file size can be big though
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thank you all for your help.
    Keith- I'll take a look at that link, it might make a good backup

Sledger- I usually convert the fonts to shapes in the pdf options but I think I forgot that setting this time. Last night I was up to 2am trying to get this file to export correctly, just now I was able to export it just fine with a commercial setting (and converting those fonts).

This doesn't happen everytime, but I'd like to figure out what's causing the problem. When It works right Xara does produce a very good pdf document.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I usually convert the fonts to shapes in the pdf options but I think I forgot that setting this time. Last night I was up to 2am trying to get this file to export correctly, just now I was able to export it just fine with a commercial setting (and converting those fonts).
    Yes the commercial option always seems to give best results.
    Bigger file output, but of course this is to be expected.

I don't know why the PDF option to convert isn't bullet proof, just that it doesn't always do as it suggests, therefore converting (but NOT saving) before exporting has always been my preferrence. It has been discussed before at TG.
    I've never bothered to dig deeper though..

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    When It works right Xara does produce a very good pdf document.
    Just a second thought.
    I have a feeling the the PDF export filter treats copyrighted commercial fonts differently. That is, they won't be embedded or converted by the export filter.
    This is possibly why converting before exporting is a solution.

Perhaps someone else can comment on this?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I have a feeling the the PDF export filter treats copyrighted commercial fonts differently. That is, they won't be embedded or converted by the export filter.
    Embedding would certainly be an issue if the commercial font is set to prevent it. However, AFAIK, that shouldn't affect conversion, which basically turns the letters into shapes.

The whole idea about preventing a font from being embedded is that someone might be able to extract the font from the pdf and use it without being licensed for it.

If you're going to convert to shapes before creating the pdf, make sure you keep a copy of the file (or at least the text portions) pre conversion. That way, you can revise it later, if necessary.