Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

It was suggested in a posting to another topic that some of you may want to upgrade the free version of Painter 5.5 provided with the September issue of the UK mag. PC Format.

First, if you want to try and get this software you can call PC Format (01225 442244 in the UK) and ask them if they have any of issue 112 left. It cost me about 5 UK pounds but I don't know if they will mail it to other countries.

If you already have the PC Format version of Painter 5.5, according to page 170 of issue 112 you can upgrade to Painter 6 (presumably 6.1) for 111.61 UK pounds. I had a look at the web site (www.upgrades.co.uk) cited as the source of the upgrade but their search appears not to be working so I couldn't check if Painter 6 was available. Anyone wanting to take this further can email the upgrade site on support@transaction-one.com or phone them on 0208 358 5855. If they aren't providing the upgrade claimed by PC Format it is worth contacting the magazine pcfmail@futurenet.co.uk to complain. They claim to have an exclusive deal with Corel and usually respond to pressure.

Good luck!

Tom
    IP

It was suggested in a posting to another topic that some of you may want to upgrade the free version of Painter 5.5 provided with the September issue of the UK mag. PC Format.

First, if you want to try and get this software you can call PC Format (01225 442244 in the UK) and ask them if they have any of issue 112 left. It cost me about 5 UK pounds but I don't know if they will mail it to other countries.

If you already have the PC Format version of Painter 5.5, according to page 170 of issue 112 you can upgrade to Painter 6 (presumably 6.1) for 111.61 UK pounds. I had a look at the web site (www.upgrades.co.uk) cited as the source of the upgrade but their search appears not to be working so I couldn't check if Painter 6 was available. Anyone wanting to take this further can email the upgrade site on support@transaction-one.com or phone them on 0208 358 5855. If they aren't providing the upgrade claimed by PC Format it is worth contacting the magazine pcfmail@futurenet.co.uk to complain. They claim to have an exclusive deal with Corel and usually respond to pressure.

Good luck!

Tom
    IP

Tom,

Thanks for looking up that info. I'll be interested to hear what happens. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Tom and everyone,

Coincidentally, I just received a message from someone on another list that included a forwarded one from Corel Customer Support. It said that any version of Painter can be upgraded as long as a serial number and/or proof of purchase is supplied.

The forwarded message included an 800 number so I called Corel to ask specifically if the PCFormat Painter 5.5 serial number, which I understand is a generic one.. and all CDs have the same number, would be useable. I was told not to worry about it, all that's needed is a serial number.

In addition, I was told that people who get Painter Classic with a Wacom tablet can also upgrade to Painter 6.

This is great news, and almost too good to be true after so many months of not getting anywhere. I thanked him profusely and asked how come we'd had so much trouble. He told me this is a "recent" change.

If anyone wants to check this out, his name is Dan and if you want to, you can request that the order be placed in his name so he'll get some credit for it. (In case he's not answering the phone at that time, whoever takes the order can put his name on it.) This was my idea, not his.. I just thought it would be nice to give him credit since he gave us some good news... it's not necessary if you don't want to do it that way.

He gave me his e-mail address so people can contact him if they have a problem, or if the Customer Support person they talk to says they can't upgrade. Dan seemed very sure that they can upgrade.

The number I called was:

1-800-772-6735

Dan's extension is 44053 (though you may not be able to reach him).

His e-mail address is (put "Attention Dan" in the message and it will go to him):

custserv2@corel.ca

Let us know how this works out for you, if you're wanting to upgrade. I hope it turns out to be the new Corel upgrade policy for real. This will bring them a goodly number of new customers if it is.

Jinny Brown
    IP

I contacted Dan via email, and this was his response:

In response to your inquiry, registered owners of Painter Classic may upgrade to Painter 6 for Macintosh for $199.99US/$299.99CAN.

To order software please call the Customer Service center nearest yo u. In North America the phone number is 1-800-772-6735. To obtain the telephone number of an International Customer Service Center, please visit our web site at: http://www.corel.com/support/reach/index.htm.

If you are located within North America and prefer to order via E-Mail you may do so by replying to this message and including the following information:
    1) Complete First and Last Name
    2) Current Shipping Address
    3) Daytime Telephone number
    4) Credit Card Type, Number, and Expiration Date (we accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express)
    5) Product you wish to purchase
    6) Serial number or other proof of purchase of the product you are upgrading from
    7) Please indicate the preferred shipping method:

For US Customers:
    Order Subtotal Airborne US Mail UPS Airborne Priority
    $0-$79.99 $5 $5 $5 $10
    $80-$349.99 $10 $10 $6 $15
    $350 and over $15 $15 $6 $20

For Canadian Customers:

Ontario and Quebec:
    Purolator $10
    Canada Post $6

All other areas in Canada:
    Purolator $25
    Canada Post $12

Applicable taxes will be applied for the follow ing:
    CA, IA, NY, OH, NM, NE, TN, TX, NV, GA, NJ, WV and GST, PST or HST in Canadian provinces.

Once your order is placed we will send you an email with the total amount of the order and your order confirmation number.

Please let us know if you have any questions or comments.

Regards,

Dan
    Corel Customer Service
    Email: http://corel.sbservices.com/coreleshare/custservice.asp
    www.corel.com

Experience CorelDRAW 10 Graphics Suite - creative power with an attitude.
    Visit http://www.corel.com/draw10

I let him know also that my Painter Classic came with the Wacom ta blet bundle. Oh, well. Guess I'll start saving up.

OH! I just went to the web site. That's half price! Well, waddaya know!

[This message was edited by marah on January 15, 2001 at 06:42 PM.]
    IP

Marah,

Yep, the full price if I recall correctly is $399.00. Hope you can save up to buy the upgrade.

Thanks for passing on the message from Dan. I'm relieved and happy that you got a positive response from him. Thought you would.. but it's still nice to see it happen for real. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    IP

I have owned Painter since v. 2, and have since then upgraded to all the newer versions. I now own 5.5. Fractal/Metacreations used to charge $99 for upgrades, a reasonable price which made it both possible and justifiable for me to go for every upgrade. But since Corel have taken over, they have DOUBLED the upgrade price - to about $200!!! I therefore have not upgraded to v. 6, and don't intend to do so either.

And now I read about people who have gotten a FREE v. 5.5 on some magazine CD, and THEY get to buy the full v. 6 for the same price Corel would charge me, a long-time, loyal user!

It's rotten treatment of us Painter "regulars", and certainly does not me feel any better about Corel (whose dubious handling of the CorelXARA matter I long disliked.)

Klaus Nordby

Klaus Nordby
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP